Part 7

James blinked opened his eyes slowly, morning sunlight obstructing his vision as he tried to sit up. He only noticed the repeated knocks on his car windows when they got frequent and winded it down immediately.

"Sir James!" The security guard, exclaimed when he saw his tired face, "I thought I was seeing things when I saw someone sleeping inside. Is everything ok?"

"I just got uhm, too tired. Sorry for the trouble." James apologized, feeling awkward about being found sleeping in the car.

"Do you need me to call Mam Nadine down?"

"No!" He spluttered a bit, "I mean, she's probably still asleep."

"She's probably going to be down anyway, it's close to 8am." The guard informed politely, "I'll be back at the security post, let me know if you need anything, Sir Jame."

"Thanks Kuya." James thanked gratefully before the older man left. Kuya Guard was right, Naidne should be down anytime. She always goes for a morning jog on Sundays around 8.30am. He'll make sure he apologized for what he said last night.

But she never came down that day, even though he waited and left only when the sun set.

In the days that followed it was as clear that Nadine wanted nothing to do with him.

As expected, she refused to pick up or reply to any of his calls or texts. A week after that incident happened he was stopped by the helpful security guard Kuya Guard when he was driving into her place, wanting to wait and get a glimpse of her just to ensure that she was doing well.

"Sir James, I uh I'm sorry but I have to bar you from entering unless you can get the approval of the resident that you're visiting." Kuya Guard told him apologetically, it was protocol.

The cluster of apartments that Nadine resided in had a strict rule for visitors. All visitors had to let security know of the unit that they're visiting, thereafter he will use the intercom to the unit to inform them of the visitor. The visitor(s) will be able to proceed in when the resident gives their acknowledgement.

James got away with this step because both Nadine and he had been on good terms with the friendly security ever since he started sending her home years ago. The ever well-mannered Nadine never failed to greet the guard when on her way out or coming back home from outside.

"She told you this?" James asked with a hint of disbelief in his voice.

"I'm afraid so, Sir James. Until Mam Nadine gives her approval again I'm afraid I cannot let you into the estate. Should I try to give her a call?"

"It's ok, Kuya. Don't trouble yourself." He told the man with a wry smile before making a U-turn out of the place.

She was determined to cut him off from her life, it seemed.

*****

"Hey Reid!" her classmates gushed as they walked past the open basketball court behind their old block of classrooms on the way to their lecture for Marketing Research.

"Who?" Nadine asked, halting her steps because the girls in front stopped walking as well.

"Ay sus Nadine. How can you not know him?" One of the girls in her group exclaimed.

"Exactly! He was one of the Student Union leaders when we had our orientation last month!" Another girl informed her.

"He did?" Nadine mumbled to herself, "I don't remember..."

"I must get into the Student Union, there are so many hot guys in there!" A girl to her left told them determinedly as she looked at the players on court, James Reid being one of them.