Part 8

A little flashback for all of you :)

"I need a drink."

Nadine stood up from her couch and quickly went into the kitchen to fetch a glass of water and hurried back to the living area.

Ashley took a mouthful before looking at her with a why-isn't-this-vodka expression. "I need an alcoholic drink, Nadz."

She nodded and immediately ran into the direction of her kitchen again, a glass of translucent brown liquid in her hand this time.

"What is this?" Ashley asked dubiously and took a sniff.

"Martell Cordon Bleu."

Ashley took another sniff, "Why do you have this? You don't even drink that much."

"It's not mine."

Realization dawned on Ashley before she took a sip of her drink.

"So," she placed her cup on the coffee table. "You're telling me this has been going on for five years? Since in between your third and last year in college?"

Nadine nodded, looking at anywhere but her friend.

"Bad Nadine!"

"Ow Ash! How could you!" Nadine exclaimed, rubbing the sore spot on her arm where Ashley hit her.

"How could I? How could you HIDE this for five years?" She took another sip, "bring the whole bottle out won't you?"

When Nadine came back with the bottle Ashley was mumbling to herself, 'how did no one know? I mean, were we blind or what?'

"How did it even happen, babygirl? I was in the union, how did I not notice a thing?"

"Yassi and Trisha knew." She spoke softly.

"They what? Knew? KNEW? And you never told me?" Nadine could her tell her friend was on the verge of hysterics now. "Why do you even like him? I mean? Yeah, he's not bad looking and of course he's pretty cool when playing basketball. Well yes we can't deny he has a nice smile too and he's always kind and helpful."

"They only knew I liked him, they didn't know the rest that happened." She sighed, "you do realized that you've mentioned a lot of his good points?"

Ashley nodded as she thought about her previous words, "Still, if I never went back to the restaurant to collect a forgotten document I would have never known! Two of my friends sleeping together for five years and I've never knew. I just, you know, I need time to digest this information."

"Sorry Ash. It must have been such a shock."

"Well Babygirl, things like that don't happen every day. How did you even start sleeping together?"

"I told you, one moment he was helping me with the assignment and the next we were on his bed, well, yeah."

"I meant it figuratively Nadine, not literally." She gulped her drink down. "Oh baby girl!" Ashley moved forward to pull her into an embrace, "How could you be so silly! I would have helped if you told me you liked him! You wouldn't have to hold onto to it for so long!"

"Matters of the heart, Ash. They can't be helped." She told her friend with a sad smile.

"Bbaygirl, I know you're with Paulo now but if you tell me you still love him, I promise I'll be on your side. Your happiness is my priority."

"No it's fine. I'm happy with Paulo now. Of course, I can't just block out all my feelings for him but well, I'll move on. There's no use harping on something that wouldn't happen."