Bat Day 15

April 4, 2012

Cedric is still doing very well--he's eating and sleeping, et cetera.

I've been looking more carefully at his wings lately. He moves around a lot more so now I'm able to get a better look at them without having to touch him. His right wing had some exposed bone for some time but now it seems that the membrane has grown over it mostly. The thing I worry about now is that his same arm (right arm) seems to be more swollen than his left arm. I am hoping it is just swollen because it is injured but it may be a sign of infection. There is no real way for me to be sure. The left wing is still injured as well, but not quite as severe. Once the skin fuses together again, the left wing should be fine.

Though he is healthy, his injuries do not show any signs that he can be released to the wild again. Luckily, a friend of mine gave me a good contact. There is a school with a bat conservatory a few hours east from where I live. I am hoping that once Cedric has healed a bit more, I will be able to transfer him to a center where he can get the necessary care to lead a happy life. Maybe he'll make some new bat friends too! I am very happy that I know of this place now, because I was worried that he would remain in my care permanently. Now I don't necessarily mind the idea of having a pet bat, but I know I could never give him the life he would want. Living in a cage is not happiness.

I did a little redecorating for Cedric's cage. I got him a shallower water dish so it would be much easier for him to drink from. I also tied some scraps of fleece fabric to the bars of the cage which he seem sto enjoy a lot. Now he can hang from the pieces of fleece, or snuggle up in them to feel more comfortable. Bats are used to living in big flocks, so it must be hard for Cedric to live alone for so long. Hopefully the scraps of fleece can sort of mimic the feeling of snuggling up to another bat. I can tell that Cedric has really taken to the improvements I've made (which I am so happy about that).

That's all I really have to report now. I've fallen behind on my journaling because I've been very busy (SPRING BREAK! WOO!) but I will try to at least journal once a week (though more frequent journaling would be better, once a week may be all I have time for.)

Well thanks for tuning in this time! I know a journal isn't the most interesting read, but when it concerns a bat it's actually kinda cool...

Have a great morning/afternoon/evening! So long!