Bat Day 151 (I think...)

• Dedicated to Cedric the Bat!

August 17th, 2012

Well it's quite obvious that I have neglected my duties as a bat owner to consistantly report on his condition...

iFail...

Anyways, Cedric is fine. HE IS NOT DEAD. He is alive and as energetic as a handi-capped bat can be. From what I can see, both wings have healed up quite nicely. But, to my (and all batlovers') dismay, he will not be able to fly again, despite the transformation he has made. It just wasn't possible, and I should have known from the get-go. For a while, I was hopeful that he would be able to return to a normal life; it seems he will have to remain in captivity under the care of a willing, patient, and experienced pet-owner.

I guess an ordinary(ish) sixteen-year-old girl will suffice.

My New Summer's Resolution ((does that even exist...?)) in the beginning when I first found Cedric was to care for him until I was able to take him to some professionals that wouldn't result to kiling him...that plan fell apart like a nice tender pot roast ((yes, I'm very hungry at the moment)).

NO, I do not mean that I am going to take him to be euthanized. What I mean by this now is that I will be caring for him...possibly for a very long time...and it may become permanent. The main reason for that is that things are complicated in my home at the moment and the last thing my mother needs is her youngest child saying something along the lines of this:

"Hey bitch! You're driving me to Detroit so I can admit Cedric into the BatZone thing, ya got it?!" and then she would proceed to punch me in the face sending me rocketing into space, hurling towards the surface of the moon.

**REVISION TIME** ((that would not happen. It'd be more like this))

Me: Mom, we've talked about it for a while, and I was thinking it's about time we take Cedric to the BatZone where he'd be much more comfortable.

Mom: *on iPhone playing Bejeweled*

**AWKARD SILENCE AS I ANXIOUSLY AWAIT HER RESPONSE**

Me: -__________- ...Mom?

Mom: *yet another awkward pause* What? *said in a slightly angered in irritated manner*

Me: Erm....nevermind :s *walks away having accomplished absolutely nothing except piss off the motherboard* ((<---- hah, see what I did there?))

And that's how that would turn out! PLUS, we are trying to sell our house, so a trip to Detroit isn't exactly on the agenda...life gets busy sometimes!

I am not the only one in my family procrastinating on important things ((**cough cough** HoMeWoRk **cough**))

Luckily, Cedric couldn't care less about what is going on since he doesn't really know his options. He can happily nom on mealworms while I keep his cage clean for him ((don't want to contract any diseases either...))

BUT on a different note, because Cedric will most likely remain my "pet" for a while, I have decided to try and tame him!! Not quite sure how well it will go...but I've started small. When Cedric eats his mealworms, he is quick to snap at the tweezers. So, I have tried to feed him with my hands. Now, because he snaps when he tries to eat ((and the so-called "snapping" is not in an aggressive way I can assure you; it is simply his instinct)) I am very cautious when feeding him and I wear a thick glove. ((It is thick enough so that his teeth cannot puncture all the way through the fabric)).

I only tried feeding him by hand once, and at first he hesitated. The scent of the glove was most likely unfamiliar and intimidating from his perspective. But once he discovered the strange glove was holding food, he ate pretty quickly ((though not as fast as when I fed him with the tweezers)). I hope that if I continue working with him, I will soon be able to touch him and feed him with my hands. That would be pretty rad! ...At least I think so.

Anywho, that concludes this day's Bat Diary. I hope, to whoever is reading, that this all seems like good news to you! Hopefully I will not wait as long to post an entry...though I'm pretty sure it'll be a while depending on how inspired I feel.

So that's it, thanks for reading! And please COMMENT! I want to know what people think of my Bat-Ventures ((<----- Ah? Ah? See what I did there?)) And also if you have any cool animal (wild or domestic) rescue stories you would like to share, I always have open ears (or eyes since I...read it...) and I would love to hear (read)  them. Thanks again! I'll write soon!

~Abby and Cedric- - - - - - - SiGnInG oUt - - - - - - -