Chapter 28

Nabeel's POV

It was so cute how Husna and Maariah just made up without much catty behavior. I guess I had Raihaan to thank for that. That boy was something else. He knew how to he holy, wise, serious, funny and smart all at the same time. I made a mental note to find a good girl for him, now that he would be somewhat like a brother in law to me.

I still felt a little bad though, because Husna clearly didn't realise that I still had feelings for Maariah. I wanted Maariah back, but until now it hadn't been a possibility. And just when I had agreed to a wedding, Maariah appeared. It was the right person at the wrong time, and that killed me. I took comfort in the idea that Husna also loved someone else. She had Zaid and I couldn't blame her. He was a wonderful guy, someone that I had met often in the masjid and also someone great to talk to, laugh with and generally be around.

Still, the guilt didn't die. I wished that I could have found a way to have Maariah back, but not hurt Husna. I was falling for Husna, but I had already fallen for Maariah.

I contemplated on how odd it was to fall in love. Why did they call it falling in love? Was it because you were bound to get hurt when you did?

HUSNA'S POV

We went back inside and Layyah was clearly surprised by our calm demeanour. I was smiling and so was Maariah, and above all it was genuine. Layyah chose to ignore it to be polite but I told her softly, "There was a little incident. Will Whatsapp you the story."

It was common in this day and age for people to use Whatsapp even when face to face communication was possible, and I found it very convenient.

My conscience nagged at me for the rest of the evening. Sure, Nabeel was handsome and a really amazing person, but I still had a desire for Zaid in my heart. I felt like I was betraying him. Secretly I didn't mind that Nabeel had a hint of feeling for Maariah, only because it was a visible emotional flaw. I had too many, and I couldn't conceal mine. I made my mind up to move past Zaid and into the future with my beautiful husband to be.

The issue with that was, you don't choose who you fall in love with. I didn't choose to fall in love with Zaid, and I couldn't choose to fall in love with Nabeel.