Prologue

Dedication: To the Author and the Finisher of my faith: Jesus.

To my grandparents: Johnelle Duewall Kasprowicz, Leroy Duewall, Don Kasprowicz, and Dewain and Lydia Smith. With the exception of Don and Lydia, the rest have gone on to Glory. They all have lived in Brenham, Texas, since I was born.

This is also dedicated to my parents, Dewain and Diane. Your faith and love throughout the years inspired me to become the person I am today, and God is still making improvements. Daily. Thanks! I love you!

Home again

I first returned to Brimstone Canyon, Texas, in early fall of 1925. The funniest thing about Brimstone Canyon was that there was no canyon in it at all. For that fact, there was no Brimstone, either. I grew up in this little town in the middle of Nowhere, Texas. Did you ever notice when you are in the middle of nowhere you are also now here? Interesting.  I was without a doubt now here.

I finished school in Austin, but have always loved farming. I feel closer to God out in the fields. I like being able to bask in the beauty of the things He created.

So what brought me back to Now Here, Texas? Work. Times are tough and they are not improving. Mr. McBride, who insists everyone call him Mike or Boss, owns a large spread outside of Austin. He was looking for people to help on his ranch, and I was looking to find a way to sustain a living, and be nearer to my folks, at my mother’s request.

Returning would change the course my life, and that of everyone around me, forever.