True Redemption

“Goodnight, Jacky. Sleep well.” I won’t sleep at all. “I hope to see you tomorrow.” She squeezed my hand as well. I watched her walk back into the house, and then turned my attention to the horse, to finish his brushing. I started humming “The Battle Hymn of the Republic.” Some still don’t take kindly to that song, as it is a “song of Northern Aggression.” The words strike deep and stay with a person. That this song is one of her favorites struck me as a little funny. We all have our personal preferences when it comes to our worship and praise of the Lord, but she seemed like the “Amazing Grace” type more than the “Battle Hymn” type. I guess I am the opposite, so maybe it isn’t so strange.

I did find her fascinating, but what was more intriguing was her capacity to love. She seemed to radiate it from every part of her. She seemed to want to help and protect everything and everyone she met. I was beginning to think, after one date, I never wanted to be without her.

I must ask her soon about her salvation. I am sure she is a follower, for her spirit testifies of itself about the Lord, but I want to hear it. It is of the highest of importance to me.

I went to dinner at Mom and Pop’s house during the week. Having known Helena for two weeks, and having been infatuated with her for nearly a month, I was anxious to talk to Pop about her. I wanted his opinion. He was never one to hide his reasons or his thoughts, though sometimes he remained quiet on certain subjects.

After a rewarding meal, I went to the steps. I sat alone for a few minutes thinking, and actually praying about her. I don’t pray as often as I should, but something about her makes me want to change this fact.

Pop came out, lit his pipe, and sat beside me, saying nothing. He didn’t have to. I think my father can read my mind, and tonight it was a welcome disruption. “She’s got you in a quandary, doesn’t she?” He finally said.

“More than you know, Pop. More than you know! I haven’t known her very long, but she seems to have worked her way into every fiber of my soul. I feel empty when she walks away, and utter joy when she approaches me. What is going on?”

“To put it plain, short and simple, Jack, you are in love!” Pop saying so out loud both sent alarm bells off in my mind, and brought a peace I had not had since seeing her. “I hope you give it more time. I married your Maw, and as I live and breathe, she is an angel to me. I was not prepared for the hardships that can accompany marriage, though. Get to know her. Talk as much as you can. It’s in the talks where you figure out a person’s true heart. Seeing a person in the midst of strife will show you her true character. Your Maw has true grit. She’s been through more than a woman should have to endure in a lifetime.

Your Maw should’ve had five children instead of just you and Jay. She lost twin boys, and she lost a girl at four months. Through it all, your Maw remained a servant of God, instead of blaming Him. She could’ve easily turned away and wallowed in her pity, but she didn’t. She grieved for her children and kept on believing. I am telling you this so that you know what to look for in a wife. A woman who will believe in the Lord no matter what this life brings.”

Wow! I didn’t know that about Mom. She withholds those things from us, I think. She’s strong, for sure. “Thanks for telling me about that. I need prayer for guidance in regards to this lovely lady. She’s quickly becoming part of me.”

“You got it, son. Make sure she’s the right one. I want you to be as happy as your Maw and I have been for the last twenty-six years.”  With a smile and a hug, he went inside.

I soon went in, gave Mom a longer-than-usual goodbye hug, and was on my way back to the ranch.

Upon arriving, I put my horse away and knocked on the McBride’s back door. I needed to talk to Mike, and soon. But, Helena came out.