Christmas, Easter, and a Wedding

Christmas was enjoyable. We spent time with both families, and were pleased to meet Madeleine. She was a beautiful woman. She made Jay a very cheerful man. If having the three women together for wedding plans isn’t insane, though, having two giddy brides-to-be in the same house was.

We managed to get out after dinner, which was at the McBride Ranch. They had a slew of people in there, and it was crowded. We laughed so hard we cried at some stories. The women and children seemed to be having fun as well.

A similar gathering was present for Easter. This time, Tuck and Ten and their families joined us. These get-togethers at the McBride Ranch were a regular occurrence. I was quite entertained by the different folks who gathered with them. Being a McBride, even though her last name would Marshall, would be fun. The amount of food was enough to make a man let his pants out, for sure.

The single farmhands had fun placing candy and gifts in the yard for the children to find. They were included, just as though they were family. Mike and Leah accepted every person and made everyone feel like family. It’s no wonder I was so drawn to them. They held true Christian values and loved their neighbors: all of them.

I wanted Helena and me to be the same way when we were in our own home. I needed to talk to Mike about renting his guesthouse. We could then stay near her parents, and I could keep my job, but we’d be able to have our privacy.

Jay’s wedding was the first week of June. He seemed to trade his smile for a look of terror. I took the opportunity to tease him then comfort him. He asked me to be his Best Man, and I obliged. Madeleine was sweet and asked Helena to be an attendant. We didn’t even pay attention to the ceremony. Our eyes were fixed upon each other. When they said their vows, I mouthed “I do” to her, and she started crying. Not the smartest move to make. Hopefully no one saw it and thought she was crying over the marriage taking place.

The happy couple kissed, and Jay’s military buddies from school made a welcome line for Madeleine. They crossed swords to make an arch for the new Mr. and Mrs. Marshall to walk underneath. The last man on the right lowered his sword. “Welcome to the Army, Mrs. Marshall.” And then he swiped her rear with his sword, and they kissed before leaving the arch.

Jay was appointed to a base in Kansas. Mom wanted him closer, but he said, “The Army sends you where they need you. I will visit as much as I can, Maw.” They would be leaving soon after the wedding.

I looked at Helena, and the thought of her standing at the altar next to me almost overwhelmed me. We needed to set a date. Soon.