Eight

Shane's POV

     After going home, Ryland called me. Telling him I couldn't come around anymore was the hardest thing I could possibly do, but I knew that as long as I kept working with Clevver.... I'd get to see him. The following month, I went through constant physical therapy for not only my shoulder and arm, but for my broken foot as well. Lily was so sweet, helping me stand and do things around the house. It was June, and I knew I'd have to fill the pool for the annual party with the Clevver crew, but Lily filled it for me.

"You really don't have to do all of this.." I said. "I can walk.."

"Shane, I know you can..... but you need to see that you don't have to.." She smiled. "The girls should be over in a few minutes, so I'm going to get into my swimsuit..." Lily kissed me on the cheek. "Go get ready.."

~

The girls showed up only moments later after I was in my swim trunks. Joslyn and Erin brought in snacks and drinks, while Miriam helped Misty and Lily blow up the pool floats.

"Shane, I have a surprise for you.." Joslyn said. "I know you haven't been yourself lately... and Lisa is annoying..."

"And since someone took off work to heal..." Erin said.

"I'm here to party!" Ryland hobbled in. "Since you can't swim, and I can't either, we can just chill.."

"How are you here?" I asked.

"I told Lisa that the party was being held at Joslyn's house this year, and Joslyn picked me up. She told me to sneak around back, so she could surprise you.."

"And everyone knew?" I asked. He smiled as he nodded.

"So... How have you been?" He asked. "I know we haven't talked in a month.... because of what happened..."

"Are you okay?" I asked him. Ryland wasn't expecting a response like that, and froze. "I'll take that as a no..." He laid back in the poolside chair, his hands covering his face.

"The wedding is moved to next month.." He sighed.

"What?" I asked. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because... She heard me on the phone with you after.... what happened... She was mad... that was the only way I could make her happy. Shane, I want you to be my best man..." He said. "But I'm afraid she'll be mad.."

"Your... best man?" I asked.

"Yes..." He said. "Would you be my best man?" I contemplated how hard it would be to watch him standing at the altar, kissing Lisa.... vowing to spend the rest of his life with her. I couldn't possibly stand to watch it, but I couldn't say no to him. I couldn't say no to those bright... bright blue eyes...

"I'd love to..." I said. "I'd love to be your best man..."

"I'm glad..." Ryland said. "My sister is the maid of honor.... since Lisa is one of her best friends. The wedding is July fifteenth..."

"I'll mark my calendar.." I said. I could almost feel the awkwardness between us, but it was interrupted when Lily came over to me. "Are you having fun?"

"Yeah, but I wish you could swim.." She said. "Can't be wrap your casts?"

"We could, but I'd have a hard time getting into the pool.." I sighed. "Hey, are you busy on July fifteenth?"

"I'm not sure.." She said. "Why?"

"Lisa and I are getting married on that day.." Ryland said. "I asked Shane to be my best man.."

"Oh! That's so sweet.." Lily smiled, then looked at me with pain in her eyes. "Well, I'm going to get back in the water.."

~

After the party, everyone left, but Lily seemed more upset than usual that the party had ended.

"Lil?" I said. "Are you okay?"

"Aren't you upset?" She asked, refusing to look me in the eyes.

"About what?"

"Ryland... I mean... You are still in love with him, right?" Lily asked. I sat by her, trying to wrap my arms around her, but she pushed me away. "I know you only started dating me to get over him..."

"Lily.."

"If you think being with a girl is weird for you, go ahead... Leave... Leave me, and I'll go on with my life..." She said. "But Ryland is getting married.."

"Lily, please don't do this to me... You knew when we first got together that I had feelings for Ryland...." I tried to look her in the eyes. "Lily, please..."

"Do you still love him?" She asked.

"I've always cared for him..." I said. "I'm sorry.."

"Then we're done.." She cried. I tried to pull her back as she walked away from me. "Don't!"

"Lily, talk to me..." I said.

"I saw the way you looked at him.." Lily said. "Your eyes glowed... and when he told you he was getting married, I saw your expression change.."

"Lily, I'm still in love with you!" I said. "I'm just... really confused right now..."

"Then you need to figure out what you want.." She wiped her eyes. "If you still.. love me.. you'll be back..."

"Lily..."

"But if you love Ryland more, I'll be happy for you.." She smiled, although her eyes were still dripping with tears. "Okay?"

"We'll always be friends.... even if this ends, okay?" I said, and she nodded, going in for a hug.

"I'll get my things.." She said.

~

29 days until Ryland's wedding

Waking up in the morning and not seeing Lily hurt more than our breakup, but knowing I had to go to Ryland's wedding and stand next to the couple that broke my heart each and every day hurt worse.

I went to film with Clevver again, but Lily avoided me the entire time I was there. Joslyn gave me a weird look, then tried to talk to Lily, but all Lily wanted to do was isolate herself from everyone in the building.

"What's her problem?" Joslyn asked me. I shrugged, but she sat by me and pestered until I'd answer. "Shane... I've known you forever.... You can't lie to me.."

"She broke up with me last night.." I said. "Because I'm still in love with Ryland.."

"She dumped you?" Joslyn was shocked. "How'd she... Why?"

"Ryland asked me to be his best man... and when I asked Lily if she was busy on the day of the wedding, she asked why... Ryland told her... and she seemed off after that.." I said. "After the party, she got upset with me.."

"Wow.." Joslyn said. "When's the wedding?"

"July fifteenth..." I said.

"Wow... I thought they were getting married next year...."

"They moved it up to next month...after Lisa caught me kissing Ryland.." I sighed.