PART ONE ; one

one ; the call of the void 

      The vexing sound of cicadas chirping reverberated through the encircling trees and the brisk breeze gingerly streamed through the Guardian's hair. For miles, the only distinctive hue was chromatic verdant, and lustrous sky-blue. The resplendent sunshine beamed down on the onyx-black varnish of the Impala as they parked the vehicle. Odessa watched as Bobby's appearing figure pushed himself off the hood of his own car. Lincoln, Nebraska wasn't impressive, regardless of how green their plants were and how blue their sky was. Odessa's attention was piqued from scenery of the ranch they were going to inspect as Sam spoke aloud, "Hear those cicadas?" He asked.

      Odessa didn't have to concentrate to hear the incessant buzzing and chirping of the insects, considering they were near unbearable. However, here, in this specific expanse, the cicadas seemed to buzz louder than considered normal. "That can't be good," Odessa said, squinting her eyes as she examined the landscape. The overall plain was quite lovely, especially with the weather of today, but there was that horrid stench that ruined her opinion. Stepping away from the side door of the Impala, she greeted Bobby with a small smile. "Hey, Bobby." 

      Bobby returned the greeting, but then his smile diminished as he watched Dean devour his burger with a large mouthful. "So, we're eating bacon cheeseburgers for breakfast, are we?"  She glanced towards her boyfriend, watching as he swallowed the burger while wiping the sides of his mouth, then took another bite.

      "Well, sold my soul. Got a year to live. I ain't sweating the cholesterol." Odessa immediately rolled her eyes sky-ward, gritting her teeth as she did so. Dean had come to terms with his impending death, and didn't appear to mind all that much that his soul was no longer considered his own. She wasn't keen with him declaring his deal carelessly, as if the entirety of the ordeal was comical to him. There wasn't anything humorous or light-hearted about the situation, and she wished Dean would understand this.

      Sam, taking notice of Odessa's irritation, quickly changed the subject. "So, Bobby, what do you think? We got a biblical plague here or what?" He asked, shuffling on his feet. 

      "Well, let's find out," Bobby responded, ascending up the porch with the three of them following after him. "Looks like the swarm's ground zero." Bobby knocked on the green wooden door, the knocking echoed throughout the home, but she didn't hear any form of response from inside. They waited for another minute or so before Dean knocked with much more force, shouting nonsense in hopes of receiving an answer. When receiving nothing, he peered over his shoulder and silently pointed to his ear, asking her to listen. She sighed, then closed her eyes and obliged. 

      She didn't hear anything in particular, excluding the buzzing of flies, the cicadas, and indistinct voices from the television. There weren't any hushed voices or beating hearts. Opening her eyes, she shook her head and muttered 'nothing'. Dean pursed his lips and began pick the lock while the three yanked their guns from their waistbands, and within seconds the door was opened. Immediately the malordor suffused Odessa's nose and she refrained herself from gagging. "Oh, god, this so can't be a good sign." She muttered.