Chapter 19- Tears

*Continued from the last chapter*

-------------------------------------------------------

"Well you see, it's about Leon... You and him... Are- ..You and Leon are engaged to be married when you turn 18 next year..." Your mum smiles at you expecting you to return the smile.

You laugh at her, assuming it's a joke, she looks back confused... you stop laughing, then you see it in her eyes.

She's not joking

Smiling back is the last thing you would do.

You stand up and shout at your parents, tears suddenly welling up in your eyes. "WHAT!? Is this some kind of joke!? You are kidding? YOU PRE ARRANGED A MARRIAGE FOR ME, WHY, WHY, WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT."

"CALM DOWN!" Your mum shouts standing up as well.

"AND YOU PICK AN IDIOT LIKE LEON, WHAT WAS YOU THINKING, I WONT STAND FOR IT, ARE YOU PLANNING TO JUST RUIN MY LIFE!!!" You shout, not even caring about the whole restaurant staring at your table. Ira stands up, curses your mum about your bad manners and storms out, grabbing her husband and daughter as she goes, Leon stays at the table.

Your mum starts to cry, so your dad takes over the shouting "YOU HAVE EMBARRASSED OUR FAMILY, WHAT ARE YOU THINKING, WE DID THIS FOR YOUR BENEFIT, LEON HAS A BRILLIANTLY WELL PAYED JOB LINED UP AND YOU TWO COULD HAVE AN AMAZING FUTURE!?"

"I DON'T WANT A FUTURE WITH LEON, WHY DID YOU NOT ASK ME ABOUT THIS, I CANT MARRY LEON. I DONT LOVE LEON AND I NEVER WILL - BECAUSE-Because... I HAVE A BOYFRIEND!" You scream at him spilling your drink all over the white tablecloth as you grab your bag and run out of the restaurant crying.

Your parents try to call you back but give up in frustration, realising the mistake they might just have made. Leon follows you out of the restaurant. You see him behind you and turn round slapping him in the face.

"WHO DO YOU EVEN THINK YOU ARE, DID YOU ACTUALLY THINK A GIRL YOU'VE NEVER MET WOULD WANT TO MARRY YOU?!" You shout at him angrily, this is unfair, your parents and a boy you've never met have decided who you are going to marry, they can't do that!

"CALM DOWN , IT WASNT MY CHOICE EITHER , JUST CHILL OUT!" He shouts back annoyed about the way you have reacted to the announcement.

You continue to cry but then feel extremely guilty. "But, but- I'm sorry for slapping you... But you have to see where I'm coming from, I love someone else... I can't marry you...?!"

"Please just hear me out before you start shouting at me again." Leon says,grabbing your hand and pulling you towards a bench. You go to tell him to get off, but decide you've shouted at him enough, you might as well let him tell you his side of the story.

You both sit on the bench and the tears of shock and confusion still run down your cheeks. Leon speaks calmly to you, suddenly empathetic for your situation.

"Im sorry about all this ok. I know it must be a shock, but you see , our parents had it arranged before you were born. It's all I've known since I was a kid, I've never been able to have a girlfriend, I've only been able to get with girls, but I can't have a relationship... Because I knew this day was coming, when this 'girl' turns 18, I'm meant to marry her, regardless of whether I love her or not, you think I want to marry someone I've never met? No! I thought you already knew about this, I didn't expect you to react this badly..."

You're in shock. You don't know what to say. You're parents never said a word about the fact your future's set in stone with a guy you've never met until now. They let you believe you could make your own choices, then they tell you your getting married as soon as you turn 18, to a guy that they chose before you were even born.