The Plants

Jacob was waiting for her with the teapot and a watering can. He smiled uncertainly at her.

"I thought you might...eh...that is...do you want to help me with the kids?"

Miriam smiled at him and took the watering can. It was full but also badly leaking. They walked around the room, making sure each plant had enough water.

"Davis said we came here because I wished that I could go home. So someone here has to be able to get me home, or at least get me to the Queen."

"Ah," he said patiently. Miriam waited but he didn't say anything else.

"Could you tell me about the Queen?" she asked.

"What do you want to know about her?"

"Why does Davis think she'll kill me?"

"Hmmm. Well, she might. She's more of an Empress than a Queen," he said, before adding hurriedly. "Not that you don't seem nice!"

"Then how did she end up here? Why is she the Queen then?"

"She killed the last King," Jacob said, looking at Miriam as if he had something to apologise for. "The stories say she came and conquered the land with no army, no guide, no money and no calling. No one knew she was here until she had killed the former king and driven his son into exile. Then she took up the crown and set us apart from the rest of the world. She locked us in our country as if it were a giant prison and she was the warden. She did so to protect the other people, her family and friends."

"Is that why it's always dark?"

"No. There was light and water for a long time after Idra became Queen. The people did not trust the new Queen but they did their best to make her happy. After a time, they grew to respect her strength. As long as she was happy our land prospered. No, the land only became dark a short while ago. Do you understand?"

"No," said Miriam.

"The health of our land depends on the happiness of our ruler. No matter who that ruler is. We should have known we couldn't keep her happy for too long. You people take hurt too hard. Ah, sorry. No offence," he said.

"That's okay. What happened?"

"We have different natures. The Queen was very strong, but she had a weak heart. When her littlest love acted against her, he doomed us all. She is unhappy and nothing we could do would make her happy again."

"But isn't she one of you?" Miriam asked.

"Oh no. No, Idra was born a simple human girl in your world. She's as much of a foreigner as you are."

"Then she's like me. She'll help me!"

"Ah, no. I mean, yes, she's like you. At least she was. That was a long time ago. She might not be very much of anything anymore. Even if she was the exact same, it might not matter to her that you are alike. Idra was always known for being very selfish and very cruel. If she cannot gain by helping you or by letting you live, she will kill you."

"She'll kill me if I don't offer her something? Why?"

"She is the Queen. You live to please her. If your death would entertain her, then you'll die. The best thing is to hope she doesn't notice you. I'm very good at not being noticed," he said, "I could show you if you like."

Miriam digested this.

"Thank you, Jacob," she said.

His smile was very big and very innocent. He reminded her of when her sister 'helped' her with her homework by giving her the flu so she missed the day of school it was needed for.