History

"Let her go!" 

Davis was running for her and he stopped dead when Prendre began to slowly stretch out his claws. 

He didn't look at Davis, those big cat eyes were watching her in a way only cats can. It was taking in every detail of her.

Miriam had thought him stupid, forgetting that a lion hurts with its brains as much as with its claws. 

How long had he been observing them and waiting for a chance to strike?

The lion wasn't putting all of his weight on the paw, but he was putting enough to make it difficult to expand her lungs and take a breath. Prendre smirked at her, which is something that shows off an impressive amount of teeth when a lion does it.

Miriam turned her head away from those teeth, to where Echo had fallen. Caleb had run to her, was darting all around her, hissing and lightly clawing, trying to get a reaction. 

The girl who never tired, or slowed; the boundless ball of pent-up energy. Echo lay still on the ground. She wasn't getting up. Miriam couldn't tell if she was breathing.

Miriam opened her mouth, intending to call to Echo-to tell her to get up. But Prendre laughed lightly and pressed down harder, expelling the air meant for the call in a pained noise as his claws began to dig into her shoulders and chest. 

The paw was warm and alive. She could feel his excited pulse as her own heartbeat pounded in her ears. But the paw wasn't as warm as her own blood, which she could feel begin to run over her shoulder and under her arm.

"I'm the one you want," said Davis. "Me. I'm right here. I won't fight. I won't even move. You can have me. Just let her go."

"No," said Prendre, without looking at him.

"I'm here. I'm right here."

"How long have I chased you? I never wanted to hurt you. Just him. You go and get him. Bring Jace here. Then I might let her go. She might live, if you are fast enough."

"That's not going to happen."

The lion moved his paw an inch, but he didn't take his claws out first. Miriam screamed.

"Then she will die," Prendre said, and then looked at the earring dangling from her ear. "And so will you. Is that better, old friend? To die for a traitor than to let me have my revenge?"

"He's my brother," said Davis.

Caleb had stopped darting around Echo. He approached her slowly, no longer hissing but pleading in purrs. He bumped his head against hers. Echo didn't move.

"There was I time I called him that too. And you. We sat under the oldest rose and made a pact to be brothers in all but blood. It meant nothing to you?"

For the first time, Prendre looked at Davis. Davis said nothing, just sadly met those eyes.

"Davis. He killed my entire family. All of them. They played with him and laughed with him and taught him and he killed them."

"You've done worse, since."

"No. There is nothing worse."

"Yes there is," said Davis.

"Tell me what happened that day. Tell me before I tear her into pieces," said the lion, moving his paw again to make his point. Miriam didn't scream this time, she didn't have enough air for that.

"Fine. I'll tell you. But first, you must swear not to hurt her. You must swear on your light."

Prendre stopped, looked at him.

"Why do I have to do such a thing?"

"Because, by the end of this, you are going to be really, really mad."

Prendre paused, lifted pressure off Miriam just enough so she could breathe again.

"Fine. I swear."

"On your light?"

"I swear on my light that I shall not harm the girl because of anything you tell me."

Davis sat down to tell them a story.