The Newcomer

There was shouting down the street, away from where the people were gathering to talk about the bird. The old man fainted and had to be held up. Some people were standing with him, a little back from him, saying things Miriam couldn't understand in hushed, reassuring tones.

"We have to leave," Davis said. "Now."

Miriam didn't move. Her expression was annoyed, tight with frustration and the meaning behind it was very clear: explain.

Davis took a breath.

"Remember the lion from the ruins? The blue, fast one with the sharp teeth and claws? Well, they say he's here. Which means we'd want to be gone. Now."

They ran back to the house where the others were waiting. However, when they got there, they found three people instead of two. The thin, tall boy from earlier had been talking with Caleb. His eyes went wide and his mouth went slack when he saw Davis. Above him, an ever-changing firework sparked, died and rose up again.

"This is Anbel," said Caleb softly. "He was just telling us that it was dangerous for us to remain here with a hunter."

Davis smirked, he didn't need to be reminded of the disguise.

"Is that so?" he asked the frightened looking boy. Miriam went to Echo, who was playing with her own hair. She looked surprised to see Miriam as she touched her shoulder.

"Yes," Caleb continued. "However, Anbel knows that we would never leave our charge for selfish reasons."

"But he could kill you," Anbel choked. "Hunters have no allegiance and Kain is looking for guides. You know that."

Miriam moved closer to the boy, wanting to know more.

"Kain isn't here," said Davis. "The only one he has here is Prendre."

"Prendre's here!?" squeaked Anbel.

"Very well," said Caleb. "Anbel will help us escape undetected and we shall continue on."

Anbel blinked at Caleb. Then he seemed to have a thought, and his next words were very carefully said.

"If I help you, you'll help me become a guide? Put in a good word with the guide master?" Anbel asked Caleb.

"There are no new guides, boy."

"But there could be. I would have passed the tests, we both know that. If Shadow Day hadn't happened-" Davis flinched.  "-I'd be a guide. A damn good one."

"Very well. We might not complete our mission safely but if we do, we shall try to convince Jacob. First, we need help."

Anbel had a nice, gentle smile. He reached into his bag and pulled out a load of glass balls. "I have been dying to try out some of the bigger ones."