The getaway

Miriam ran at him, the tooth clutched in her hand. It was hard running away from those teeth and even harder to run at them.

She raised her arm and waited until the right moment, which was far too close to the lion, and then slashed it down, across his nose. She ran past him as he screamed and inhaled his own blood. 

He wouldn't be able to smell her until that healed. 

The only problem now was that she was running at the wolf. The lion turned and pounced just as the wolf leapt. Miriam ducked.

The wolf and the lion crashed into each other and almost landed on her. They rolled away, hissing, spitting, biting, screaming. 

Davis ran to her, picked her up and put her on his back. She let him take the monster's tooth from her hand.

They ran passed the fight. Prendre spotted them and screamed, tried to get at them, but the wire wolf caught the lion's neck in its teeth. They ran to the cellar, where Caleb and Echo were waiting.

"Hurry!" he said, running down some very old steps hidden behind a bottle rack, "We don't want to be here to congratulate the winner."

Davis looked back at the fighting animals.

"Don't die," he said so quietly that only Miriam heard him. 

They ran.