The Call

Davis sat back in the cage and tried to think of ways to get out. He had been caught before, so this wasn't anything new. He had always managed to use his luck and his brains to get out problems. Granted, he had the little problem of trying to get his light back. That was new.

He couldn't hurt her, do anything she told him not to, or take his light back from her. Sure he would get more power. That one little wish had put more charge in his blood than he could remember. He could feel it surging through him, wanting to be used. The fuzzy new hair on his head was longer than it had been in a long time. Soon his scalp would start to itch from it. Then the itch would spread over all of his skin. Davis could never figure out how some of the others managed to hold onto the power.

He wouldn't be able to use it unless she made him though. His only chance to get rid of it was to get her to give his light back to him. That might have worked if the old guide hadn't warned her not to trust him. Davis wasn't sure what he was up to yet or why he would imply that Davis was somehow more dangerous than she was.

The girl that had come with them was watching him from the door. Her hair was still long. The invader, Miriam, seemed fond enough of her and she had helped him back in the tower with Prendre. It occurred to Davis that she might be able to help him get his light back as well.

"Hi," he said, giving her a little wave.

She gave a tiny surprised squeak and ducked back behind the door. Then she slowly brought her head back into view. She was a strange little thing. He smiled at her but she just narrowed her eyes at him.

"Where's your friend?" he asked as casually as he could manage.

"Sleeping," said the girl. 

They had the same voice as well, Davis noted.

"Oh. I thought she just got up," Davis said. The last thing he needed was to be attached to something that needed to sleep most of the time. He didn't know much about the habits or customs of foreigners. "Does she sleep often?"

"No," said the girl.

"Come away from there Echo," came the same voice from somewhere out of sight. "He's not your friend."

"Not a friend," said the girl glaring at him before running off.

"Bye then," said Davis miserably.

_______________________________

Miriam had heard Echo and Davis through the open door of the bedroom. Echo bounced away from him and went back to chasing a lantern, which had been hanging nearby waiting for her to move. Miriam leant in the doorway and regarded Davis.

"Don't be mean to her," she told him, watching the girl zip away.

"How was I being mean? I said hi and asked where you were. Total monster behaviour."

"I can't stay here," she said suddenly. 

Davis looked at her with an expression close to pity, etched on his face.

"You should," he said, "It's dangerous outside."

"It can be dangerous everywhere. One of those potted plants could fall on me and break my neck. I have things to do."

"Things?"

"I have to get home. My family is waiting for me."

"I only have one person waiting for me," Davis said. "But I don't intend to keep them waiting."

"So how about a deal?" asked Miriam. She watched his face very carefully as she spoke. He wasn't very good at lying. His forced expression of indifference twitched open when she spoke.