The School Yard

In the dream, Miriam was watching a younger version of herself going to school. She was wearing a jumper two sizes too big and pants short enough for her rainbow socks to peak through. Her backpack hopped on her back as she ran. Her ponytail (which she had done without really looking) was crocked. Grown Miriam could see through her own hands and feet like she was a ghost.

Child Miriam wanted to get to school to be THE very first in the line to get into the classroom. Most of the other girls didn't arrive until just a few minutes before the bell rang so they were at the back. She didn't have to talk to them if she was early.

She got into the yard, and when she saw that it was deserted, she jumped the hop-scotch. It was her first time doing it; usually it was too crowded. Then she spotted some other kids approaching her and went to stand in front of the school door. The two girls and three boys that arrived after her talked to each other quickly in another language, which suited Miriam just fine. She scowled in the windows at the decorations that other kids had put up.

I remember now, thought Grown Miriam, with a weary smile.

Grown Miriam looked away from the younger her and glanced around the yard. Other people were approaching now as well. She saw Olive. 

Her clothes not only fit but looked like they came from a catalogue. Her hair was in a braid, which Miriam remembered feeling very jealous about. She spent at least two weeks staring at the back of Olive's head, trying to figure it out. Olive was talking to her friends as they approached. When she spotted the younger Miriam scowling in the window, Olive stopped talking and smiled a big, evil smile. Older Miriam chuckled.

I thought I was so discreet. She had to admit knowing what was going to happen made looking at Olive's stupid grin funny.

The bell rang and the kids followed the teacher into the classroom. Older Miriam stayed outside for a bit. She didn't really care to spend a second time listening to her old teacher. Instead, she played with the swings, slides and jumped on the painted hopscotch. She did more in the playground while dreaming than she had done while being a child.

At lunch time the kids ran out, ignoring a poor stressed woman who was screaming at them not to run. Miriam watched as the little version of her went to sit under the window and eat her lunch. She had forgotten her book that day, so she had 'borrowed' some chalk from the classroom on her way out and was drawing on the yard. She had carefully picked this place out to make sure that it was the least likely spot for the teacher on duty to catch her. Miriam went to sit next to her young self, feeling like some kind of guardian.

Olive and her gang came close. They were standing a little away from where young Miriam was drawing.

I didn't even notice how they had come from their normal spot by the gate, thought Miriam as her younger self drew what might have been a horse.

"Mommy's taking me shopping Saturday to find a present for Daddy. I don't know what we'll find for him yet but I'm going to make sure it's perfect. What are you getting for your daddy?" Olive asked a small girl with a pinched face. 

The girl answered that she and her brother had found a book last week that he would like.

"Two of you and you only get him one book?" Olive asked.

"Well, no. Not just one book. We are getting him some chocolates after school. And a tie! A really cool looking tie."

Young Miriam was pretending not to listen, but her drawing had slowed down.

"How about you?" Olive asked another girl, who had gotten her father something for his computer that he wanted. 

The next girl had bought a cookbook about cookies and they were going to bake some together. Then she had to assure them that she would bring them in some cookies. The last girl had gone with her mother to get tickets to a concert and they were all going to go to.