thri

Titus really needed to leave her alone. That was all Lexa could think when he knocked on her door later on that evening, stirring her from her peaceful slumber in Clarke's arms. 

"My apologies, Heda, but I believe it's time for Wanheda to return to her own quarters for the night."

"And why would she do that?" Lexa asked, scowling at Titus. 

"It has been a long day. I wouldn't her keeping you from your rest."

"I can assure you, fleimkepa, that I will sleep much better if Clarke stays here with me. Her presence comforts me, and I believe that I deserve a little comfort after the day I've had."

"Yeah, someone shot her," Clarke added, shooting daggers at the man. 

"I'm less angry about that, and more angry about when that person tried to kill the woman I love," Lexa said. 

"I feel terribly about that, Heda. I can see now that I was misguided."

"Great. Clarke will be staying here with me tonight, and many nights after this one. Have I made myself clear, Titus?"

"Yes, Heda," Titus bowed. 

"Would you mind giving Murphy a room?" Clarke asked Lexa before Titus could leave. "I feel like we owe it to him after he was held captive in our basement. No one has to know he's here."

"Of course," Lexa said softly, wrapping an arm around Clarke. "Give the boy a room, Titus. A nice one. And apologize."

"Yes, Heda. Whatever you wish."

Lexa watched him leave with a satisfied smirk. Then, she turned to Clarke, pressing a gentle kiss to her temple

"Titus is right, Niron. It's late. We should probably go to sleep."

"Not so fast," Clarke chided. "I've let you sleep for a while. Now I need to clean the dried blood off of your stomach and change your bandages."

Lexa groaned. Her skin was still sensitive from the hot knife blade. She looked down and gasped at the charred flesh surrounding her bullet hole.

"What-"

"It was the only way to stop you from bleeding out."

"I know why you did it," Lexa assured her. "I know you're the reason I'm not dead. But what happened? Why do I look like this?"

"Have you never stuck a hot knife to your skin?" Clarke asked. 

"Never. We're in the dark about this medical practice."

"Well, it burned your flesh, to put it simply. You're not going to like when I have to wash it."

"I understand that you have to wash it," Lexa said. "And I am Heda. I do many things I do not like, but they are good for my people so I do them without complaint. This is good for me, so I will treat in in the same manner."

Clarke shrugged. She fetched a wet cloth and some bandages, brought them to Lexa's bedside, and carefully dabbed at the bloody flesh surrounding Lexa's wound. The other girl howled with pain almost immediately at the touch.

"Get that thing away from me," she forced out, panting.

"Lexa..."

"I know, I know. You have to. Alright, proceed."

"I'll be as gentle as possible. Do you want something to bite down on?"

"I hardly think that's nec-" Another howl. Clarke raised her eyebrows and gave Lexa a look that said very plainly, I told you so.