Chapter 11: Screams in the Forest

Well, this is the final chapter of Scales. Thanks for reading the whole book! I will be posting a sequel called Feather very soon, and I would love it if you would give it a look too. Press the yellow star button if you liked the story and let me know what you think in the comments!

"Watch out!"

Immediately, Blade withdrew his hand at Syrenthia's call.

"Move your hand a little bit to the right before you pull yourself out. There's broken glass where you were reaching," Syrenthia explained.

Shifting his hand over to where she directed, Blade raised himself out of the trapdoor and into a trashed dining room. Syrenthia was standing in the living room, peeking out of the windows. As soon as Blade had moved to the side, Catalin emerged.

"Here, give me your hand. I don't want you to get cut since you're not wearing shoes."

Blade extended his hand and lifted Catalin's small figure out of the hole. Setting her down where there was no broken glass, he looked over at Syrenthia.

"Are we good?" he asked.

"I think so," she replied. "I don't see anyone out there."

"Sh," Catalin held up a hand, "I think I hear something."

All three fell silent. In the stillness, Blade could hear thumping from down below.

"They're coming after us!" Syrenthia began racing towards the front door. "We have to leave now!"

Quickly, Blade picked Catalin up and carried her over the broken glass through the house. Syrenthia flung the door open for them. Once they reached the yard, Blade set the small girl down. The three set off running. Before they had reached the end of the block, seven men had burst out of the front door and began chasing them. Glancing over his shoulder, Blade could see the men were gaining on them rapidly. They were only a few yards away. Unexpectedly, a police car pulled around the corner. The officers stopped and leapt out of their cruiser. Blade followed Syrenthia as she raced towards the policemen.

"Are you guys okay?" one of the officers asked.

"Those men are trying to kidnap us!" Catalin cried out.

The policemen drew their guns and yelled for the small group to get into the back of the car. Blade sat in between the two girls. As the group of seven men approached with weapons drawn, the officers retreated back to the vehicle. Jumping inside, they backed down the street and turned onto a larger road.

"You have to call for backup," Syrenthia said. "Those guys have a lot of other people held captive in a cabin in the woods."

The two officers looked at each other, but did not respond. Blade could see one of them press a button on the side.

"You have to call for backup," Syrenthia repeated.

The policeman in the passenger seat turned to face the backseat. His bright blue eyes looked directly at Blade.

"I do hope you are quite finished with this escaping business, Blade," he said in a calm, collected voice.

"What? Who are you?" Syrenthia asked.

"Quick! Get out!" Catalin yelled.

Grabbing the handle, the girl tried to open the door, but it was locked. The officer laughed lightly and shook his head.

"You can give that up," he said, pulling out a gun. "We are not ignorant enough as to let you escape that easily."

Pointing the gun at the back seat, the officer pushed another button on the panel. Two sets of handcuffs came down from the ceiling. The chains dangled above the girls' heads.

"Cuff them," the man ordered.

As Blade pulled the girls' wrists up and fastened them in the cuffs, the officer took out two syringes. He held them out to Blade.

"Do it."

When she caught sight of the needles, Catalin began struggling against her restraints. The policeman quickly transformed into his natural form with black and silver scales.

"Vortex," Blade said.

"Yes, I am glad you remembered my name. That seems like a good sign." Vortex pointed the gun at Catalin. "Stay still or I will put a bullet in you."

"Do it." Catalin glared at the reptilian. "Why don't you just skip the torture and kill me?"

Vortex jerked his head towards Blade. "He can answer that."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Blade protested. "I don't know why you're doing this."

"Yes, you do." Vortex grabbed Blade's face with his free hand. "Think hard. When was the first time you saw us?"

"I don't remember. I don't know." Blade screwed his eyes shut. A faint image was in the back of his head. "You were...I was...it was raining."

"Yes," Vortex replied, "there was rain, and what else?"

"Blue and red." Blade pressed his fingers against his temples. "There were flashing blue and red lights. I was upside down."

Snapping his eyes open, he looked into Vortex's face. His mind was spinning, and he felt slightly dizzy.

"I was in a car crash."

"Yes, you were. Now, tell that inferior being why I will not kill her."

Blade turned to Catalin. "He is not going to kill you because he needs you. The reptilians have been replacing humans in influential positions for years. They take the human memories and implant them in their own minds so they can take their roles in society. However, there are not enough of them to continue this way. This time, they plan to take the humans for only a short period of time so they can reeducate their minds to receive orders. Then, they will release them under their control."

"How do you know that?" Syrenthia asked.

"Because."

Blade's body began shaking uncontrollably. His skin became rough and scaly. Two humps began growing on his back until they burst through as leathery black wings. In a few moments, Blade had completely transformed into a black and silver reptilian.

"Because," he repeated, "I am one of them."

Taking the syringes, he stabbed them into the girls' veins and pressed down on the plungers. Their screams filled the vehicle as it rolled down a road into the dense forest.