Nightmare(Neko.)

*Timeskip*

Calem smiled as he led Dax back to his room. Their meal had been quiet, Dax not uttering a word and Calem not being a very good conversationalist, and Dax had gotten tired, shown by the fact that he was basically being carried by Calem. He nudged open the door with his foot and got Dax over to the bed, at which point the neko had stretched out in the middle, then curled up and literally fell straight asleep. Calem smiled at him before quietly walking out and towards his own room.

*Timeskip, Dax's POV*

Dax looked at the broken vase and trembled. He had messed up and could hear his Master's footsteps. He curled up into the submissive pose he was taught: cowering, hiding his eyes, ears flat. "What the bloody hell do you think you're doing eh?" His Master's strong, angry voice rebounded in the room. Dax made himself as small as possible, but his Master grabbed him by the back of the neck, lifting him up.

Dax whined and looked away from his Master. "You think this is a joke Cat? Eh? You think this is funny?" Dax started crying, shaking his head. It wouldn't be any use, but he could try. "That vase was expensive​ Cat. You'll regret everything to do with you when I'm done." He mewed in pain when his Master slid a shard of vase through his arm. His Master smirked and dug it in harder.

His Master laughed when Dax screamed.

*********

Dax shot up gasping. He was covered in sweat and crying. He remembered that day vividly. The sheer agony of the cutting and beating. Every word his Master said to him. Every cut he made that day had scarred, long, ugly scars that only enhanced his pain. After all, as his Master said, who would want a thing like him?

Dax cried harder when he realised that he had torn the big cushion with his claws. All he did was ruin things, never make them better. He slipped off of the big cushion, backing into a cold corner of the room. He heard Master Calem rushing up the stairs and got into his submissive pose. Master Calem wasn't going to be happy about the big cushion. Dax would hurt for this.

*Calem's POV*

Calem shot bolt upright when he heard the scream. He almost jumped off of the bed, slipping his dressing gown on and running towards Dax's room. He passed Alfred, his butler, half-asleep in the doorway of his room. He ignored Alfred and continued running to Dax. He flung the door open wide, but it took a moment for him to spot Dax cowering in the corner.

Calem rushed to his side, trying to pull the upset neko into his arms, but Dax had pressed himself into the corner and Calem was afraid of hurting him. "Dax? Dax what happened? What's wrong?"

"If I may sir?"

"What?" Calem turned and looked at Alfred, the butler shining a small torch onto Dax's bed. "I believe your friend may be exhibiting sounds of distress due to the fact that he has damaged the bed. There are visible slashes in the mattress and bedsheet."

"Is that it Dax? Is that why you're like this?" Calem almost missed Dax's nod, it was so small. He smiled and managed to pull the neko to him. "Why did you scream Dax? Did someone come in? No? Um... Did you have a nightmare? Don't know? A nightmare is something scary you see in your sleep, like a monster or something like that. It was that? Ok. Shh. It's alright, I'm not mad about the bed. It isn't important. Calm down, nothing's going to hurt you alright? You're safe here."

Eventually Dax stopped crying and just lay there hugging Calem, who was rubbing his back gently. He could feel the scars under his fingertips and felt like crying himself. He had sent Alfred back to bed and had been up for most of the night. They both needed sleep. "Come on Dax. Let's go to my room."

*Dax's POV*

"Come on Dax. Let's go to my room." My head shot up at this. Was he going to? He didn't seem like he would, but appearance is deceptive. "We both need sleep, your bed is damaged and the guest bedrooms aren't made." Oh. That was what it was. Dax nodded and let Master Calem carry him to his room, physically and mentally exhausted. He snuggled into Master Calem when they got onto his big cushion and fell asleep within moments.

He didn't have any more nightmares that night.