Chapter 8~ Waves & Water

Tris's POV

~~~~~~~~

I feel the words pressed agenst my mouth. Strong and sure. Though I only whisper, I see hime straighten, and smile. The wind stings my ears, pierces my lips. I feel the fear leave my tight chest, my hair flowing, flipping behind my head. I twist my feet under me as the water becomes visable. My ears pop, and the water folds around me. My head breaks the surface of the water and I gasp a breath.

"Tris!!" Christina calls, sopping wet, waving wildly.

I paddle rapidly, trying to stay above the waves. I sink back under, panicing. Pain slips to my chest, memories of the second stage flash in my mind. I hear a slight splash, only noticeable by the ripples in the waters surface. I squeeze my eyes shut, the ringing in my ears becomes a pounding, and I barley notice as a soft hand raps around mine. Another splash, heavier, and a rough hand raps around my elbow. I feel myself tugged upwards, the light shining through my clenched eyes. Then my heads above the water, and I'm gasping and sputtering for breath. I bring tired eyes to my rescuers, I see Four's worried expression and Eric's anger, shown in his clenched jaw. They heave me onto the flat platform, its cool and smooth. I lay my head on a rock, jutting out from the ground, while Chrisina fumes, and looks me over.

"You could have told us you can't swim!!" She scolds.

"What good would that do?" I pant, groaning.

"Whats wrong, Stiff? Can't handle a puddle?" Peter snears.

"Your one to talk." Will snorts. "You fumbled around like a fish out of water."

I don't listen to the rest of the conversation as Four leans down next to me.

He whispers, "You alright?"

"Yeah." I breath.

"Think you can walk?" Its more of a command than a question, like he knows I can handle it. I nod, resisting the urge to roll my eyes. He lifts me to my feet, looking to the others and saying, "Alright back to the compound." and leading us away.

Eric stays back, his eyes drift to mine, making me halt. I hesitate, and walk over to him. His anger replaced by a blank stare. I wonder if I'll get sympathy or a scold. He holds out a hand and smiles, almost warmly. I take it, its rouge and caloused, but warm and firm. He leads me away, our fingers intertwined.

~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for reading!!!!!!! Next time... Why was Eric angry? Whats happening between him and Tris? I'll post ASAP!! Thanks again!!