Chapter 9

Lucah

I watch as Amelia pulls the top over her clothes. Sheila's Cafe is spread out on the back, letting people know she works here.

I start training her, as if she needs it. Putting her behind the register is what I plan to do, mainly because I hate working the register. She sits down on the stool behind the register, taking in small breaths.

I get why she wants to work, but I still don't like it. At least Sheila gave us the same hours.

I was surprised Maurice quit, but I was also glad. The girl hated me, she would always complain about me being annoying. Honestly, she talked more than anyone I've ever met, and it was mostly about stupid stuff.

I watch as she keys in the code to open the drawer. A lady in a dirty, yellow, tank top walks through the door, looking as though she just got done planting flowers. I recognize her right away.

"Hi, Mrs. Ila Mae." I greet her.

She smiles kindly, waving a bit to Amelia. "Hello, Lucah. Haven't seen you lately. That wretched Maurice has been serving me. How've you been, sweetie?"

"Well, I've been doing fine, Mrs. Ila. I'd like to introduce you to Amelia. She'll be working the afternoon shifts with me from now on." I say, gesturing towards Amelia, who looks comfortable on her stool.

"Oh! Heavens, you're mighty cute, Amelia! I'm Ila, nice to meet you!" Mrs. Ila smiles hugely.

" Thank you! Nice to meet you, Mrs. Ila! What can I get you?" Amelia says enthusiastically.

"One raisin bran bagel, one chocolate muffin, and two, dozen count boxes of double fudge brownies." Amelia types in the order, adding up the amount

"Eighteen dollars and seventy cents, please." Amelia smiles as Mrs. Ila hands her the cash.

I bring her order to her, and she rushes to the door, before turning and saying, "you'll be replacing Maurice, correct?"

The hopefulness in her voice makes Amelia and I laugh.

"Yes ma'am." Amelia giggles.

Mrs. Ila nods her head, happy Maurice is gone, "that's good. Bye, Amelia, bye Lucah!"

Amelia turns to me when she's out the door, "How did I do?"

I rub my chin, as if in deep thought about her treatment of the customer, "I think you did wonderful."

Her soft lips curled into a small smile. I knew she would love this job, I just hoped she would love the customers as much as me.

*

Back at the apartment, Amelia fell to the couch exhausted. I laughed a little at her tired form.

"I need a drink." She groans.

I walk to the fridge, grabbing a beer for me, and one for her. She sits up and leans against the couch, taking in a deep breath and releasing it.

She pops open her beer without a problem. I take a sip of the bitter drink.

Amelia downs hers as quick as possible, not wasting another second, before she stretches out on the small couch. I move to hold her head on my lap, and I mess with her hair.

"You know, I think Mrs. Ila Mae likes you." I joke.

"Oh, definitely better than Maurice." She put emphasis on Maurice, noting how much Ila disliked her.

"No one liked Maurice!" I point out.

She scrunches up her face, before sarcastically adding, "She sounds like a horrible person."