Chapter 17 ♦ Could This Day Get Any Worse? ♦

Chapter 17

- Could this day get any worse? -

*Echos POV*

"Kaden! No!" I screamed diving under the sheets to safety; but my cries for help stopped nothing. He began tickling my sides and up my rib cage and to my neck. 

I began squirming uncontrollably trying to get away for his grip. I screamed with laughter and somehow wiggled off my bed falling to the floor. 

"Kaden stop" I panted dramatically. "Listen we have school in the morning... Go to sleep," I sighed standing to my feet.

Getting up on his knees he placed a very passionate kiss on the top of my head and then jumped from my bed running for the door. 

"Don't leave me!" I laughed following after him. I had a good grip on his wrist by the time he got to the door. "Please" I whispered still slightly out of breath.

“I can’t, I can’t play games anymore. I’m tired.” He panted back.

Him and I had been chasing each other around the house for what seemed like hours and neither of us had a clue why.  

“No, I just want to go to bed. But I want you to come lay with me.”

"Fine," he whispered back. 

We laid there as our heart rates settled back into the norm; interlocking our fingers together, he smiled at me. 

"What?" I smiled back sitting up to look at him furrowing my eyebrows. 

He wouldn’t respond to me but he seemed like he was too deep in his own thoughts. His eyes were locked on the blankets and I didn’t know if he was thinking over his words or if he just didn’t hear me so I leaned in closer kissing his cheek delicately.

“What is it love?” I purred rubbing my nose on his cheek.

I let my lips linger on his skin for a moment while he just sat there stiff and silent. “I love you,”

But he was screaming at me in rage before I could even mutter those words. "You do not! Echo! Stop lying! I get it, you like to watch me make a fool out of myself while you watch me fall head over heels in love with you. You think it's funny to lead me on like this, but it's all just some sick joke. No one can love me Echo.” He shook his head looking at me with so much pain in his eyes. He looked like he was emotionally drained of anything and everything. “Once the glass is shattered you don't piece it back together... You sweep it up and throw it away... I'm broken far beyond fixing... You can't love something that doesn’t know what love is-" 

I couldn't take it, he hated himself so much when he had no reason to. He was the most beautiful human on this planet. He always put me before anyone, he was honest, and caring and perfect just the way he was.

I crashed my lips against his and rubbed my hands up his chest felling each individual scar with my fingertips. "I don't care. I don't care what you're offering... I don’t care if you’re broken. You're only scared and hurt, and confused and scarred from what your father did to you. You couldn’t change that, there was nothing you could do about that.”

Tears began to well up in my eyes and my voice cracked a little. "I love you, Kaden" I whispered as I blinked out a couple tears. "I don't know how to prove this to you. But I do love you. You're the first guy in a long time that hasn't treated me like a sex object. God blessed me with you when I sure as hell didn’t deserve it. I think the world of you and I would die without you." I sniffed breathing in his intoxicating scent of clean cotton and a dash of vanilla.