Chapter 38 - Drowning in a puddle of flashbacks -

Chapter 38 of MSL

-Drowning... in a puddle of flashbacks-

***This chapter, is souly flashbacks. It's fine if you don't read it, you will still understand this story I just really wanted a chapter that focused on Kaden's past because I know some of you want to know more about that. If you don't, then skip this.***

-Hide and seek- age 6

"Momma!" I yelled from the couch. She was sitting just a few feet away with a blank stare on her face.

"Yes baby?" She asked looking down at me.

"I wanna play. I'm board." I laughed sitting up.

My father walked in as I said this and decided to have a little fun with it.

"Come on son, I'll take you out and we can play."

I was too young at this time to acknowledge the look on my mothers face but her facial muscles tightened with worry as she watched my father throw me over his shoulder and take me to the car.

We drove for a long time. I remember watching the houses go by, and all the kids outside playing. I was so excited to go outside and play with my dad like all the other kids.

We finally reached out destination I assumed as my dad got out of the drivers seat. We were on a dirt road, in the actual middle of nowhere. It was as untouched as it gets here in Utah.

He helped me out of the car and then smiled at me. "How would you like to play a game of hide and seek?"

My smile was impossible to hide, I was so excited that my actual dad wanted to play an actual game with me. I mean he usually wanted nothing to do with me. "Okay." I chirped running away from the truck. "Start counting daddy!" I yelled laughing as I darted through the trees.

I crouched down under a tree and waited. And waited... and waited and waited and waited. If i stood up I could see the road, so standing up I noticed the car was gone.

Just gone... my dad had left.

I started screaming, maybe he just couldn't find me and went to get help? "Daddy!" I said screaming and screaming, I started running, but after a few minutes I was running out of breath like someone shut the oxygen flow off. Then I tripped. And fell into the next flashback.

- Bartenders and shot glasses full of Pepsi - age 7

My mom was out for the weekend and I was left alone with my dad. Which never ended well.

He was desperate for a drink and he had already had social services over once this week so he didn't want to risk leaving me home alone while he went down the bar. So being the good dad he was; he took me with him.

This wasn't the first time I had gone down the bar with Dad, but it was one of the worst.

The bartender tonight was cute girl that looked fresh out of college, she was gawking over how cute I was and how much she loved my spiderman shirt. She talked to me most of the night and kept me company, for every shot my dad ordered she would fill me a shot glass of Pepsi, for every beer I would get a root beet in a glass bottle. Something about keeping me awake...

After a few hours the bartender had to go to the bathroom and no longer had her eye on me. Right when she shut the door my dad smacked my cheek so hard I toppled off the barstool and on to my side. "What is your problem kid?" He spat though gritted teeth. "That was supposed to be my girl, and you've done nothing but ruin this. You're mom was wrong to keep you, you've done nothing but make my life a living hell." he tossed a beer bottle at my head and demanded I get back on the barstool and keep my mouth shut.