chapter eight

monday afternoon

september 26th, 2011

3:40 pm

- - -

"Hi Austin," I smiled up at him, closing my book. "What are you doing here? I thought the librarians banned you."

"Psh, those ladies don't tell me what to do," He stated as he crossed his arms and leaned against the bookshelf, knocking about 10 books onto the floor.

"Oh no, Livy, help me before they see this mess," His cocky tone changed as he scrambled to pick up the books. I just sat there, shaking my head with an amused look on my face.

"You never answered my question. Why are you here in forbidden territory?"

"I saw you come in here and I follwed you."

"Um...alright..."

"Calm down, I'm not stalking you. I just wanted to make sure you were coming to my game. It's the first of the season." He skillfully put on the puppy dog look--the big eyes, pouty lip...the whole package. I rolled my brown eyes and stood up, stepping up against him and looking into his eyes.

"You know I wouldn't miss it for the world, Austin." I said, smiling up at him. "I just have to go home and change first. It's colder at night games." He looked down at my tanktop and shorts and nodded his head in agreement.

"I'll drive you there," He said, linking arms with me as we walked toward the exit of the library. Just as we were almost clear, Austin spotted a librarian and attempted to hide his 6'1 frame behind my tiny 5'2 one. I laughed and grabbed his shirt, pulling him into the parking lot.

- - -

"Hurry up, Livy, I'm going to be late." Austin whined as he laid, sprawled out on my bed.

"Just a second!" I called, adding the finishing touches of mascara to my eyelashes and putting on my white rose earrings. I opened the door of my bathroom and adjusted my lace one-shoulder top as I looked for my sandals with the white flowers on them. I bent down and looked under my bed, groaning as I realized I had to crawl underneath it to reach them. I finally got them and stood back up, blowing the dust bunny remains off and hitting Austin in the butt with one of them to tell him I was ready to go.

I hopped down the stairs and sat on the bottom step, rolling up my dark-wash jeggings to where they were capris. I ran barefooted out the door and slipped one of the shoes on as I grabbed my phone off of the counter and slipped the other one on right before hopping into his truck.

"Phew," I said, adjusting my top again, "I think I coulda won an Olympic medal for that relay race, don'tcha think?" Austin laughed and glanced over at me as we made our way to the field.

"That was quite a show, Miss Kinnley," He said, smirking as he turned his attention back to the road.

"Why thank you, sir."

- - -

When we got to the baseball field, we hopped out of the car and walked together until Austin and I had to go our seperate ways.

"Go get 'em, tiger." I winked at him and made my way to my spot, the same spot I had sat in at every single game and every single year since Freshman year. I took a picture of the boys warming up and sent it to Ava, underneath a caption that said, "you're missing out(;" I talked to a couple of the people around me, mostly the "diamond girls", a.k.a. the girlfriends of the players. I had always wanted to be one of them, but that hadn't exactly worked out.

My mind wandered to Ryan, remembering all that had happened. My heart dropped to the pit of my stomach where butterflies proceeded to attack it. I had avoided him since then, but I knew that we would have to talk.

Before my thoughts could eat me alive, the game started and I felt a little better.

Until I saw him.

He was standing in the dugout, talking to the rest of the team. His eyes were focused, determined. I don't know why I did it, but I stood up and made my way over there, listening in on what he was saying.

"Alright guys, let's show them what we're made of. Let's start this season off right." Ryan said, and the boys nodded.

"Hey coach?" I heard a guy say.

"Yeah, Collins?" Ryan responded and my heart began to beat uncontrollably to where I couldn't even hear what the guys were saying anymore.

Coach? Ryan was the new baseball coach, too?

I felt my head, noticing the sudden heat.

"I need a sweet tea," I mumbled to myself and stepped away from the dugout, heading to find my version of an asprin.

- - -

In total, I drank two sweet teas and I had to admit that I was feeling a little squirrely.

With the final catch of a ball, our team had won 12-11 against our school rival. I ran over to Austin as he smiled and opened his arms, spinning me around.

"You did absolutely amazing," I said to a beaming Austin. He really had, he had hit 2 home runs and never struck out. "I say we celebrate." I stated, and his eyes lit up with excitement.

"Ice cream?" He asked and I nodded.

"But none of that frozen yogurt crap. I want the real kind. You know the kind that's full of sugar and calories?" I smiled, knowing he was thinking the exact same thing.

"You know I love you, right?" He said.

"Of course. Now I have to run to the little girl's room, so you go on with your friends without me, okay? I'll meet you at Maggie Moo's." He nodded and I headed toward the bathrooms, humming to myself.

Right before I was about to go into the bathoom, I was yanked behind the building where I was unseen to anyone else. My first instinct was to scream until I recognized the dark brown eyes.

Ryan.

Before I could say a word, he pushed me up against the wooden building and kissed the life out of me.

- - -

you like?(: it's much longer.

comment / fan / VOTE <3