Part nineteen

"And so you just walked away?" Scott asked, raising his eyebrows at Derek who was sitting in a chair opposite him. Derek had gone to see Scott as soon as he left Stiles. He didn't know who else to turn to.

"What else was I supposed to do?" Honestly, Scott didn't have an answer for that. He would have done the same.

"You know," Scott started, getting up to walk around the room "maybe this is why I hate his scent" Derek thought for a moment, it made perfect sense.

"But why couldn't we smell or track him when he was chasing us in the woods?" Scott couldn't answer that question either, but he had a feeling he knew who could.

~~~~~

"Well," Deaton said "even I didn't see that coming"

Derek looked down at his feet. He felt ashamed. He should have paid more attention to Stiles. It was all his fault.

"Do either of you know how he was turned?" Deaton asked, looking between the two werewolves. Derek could feel the suspense in the room. Neither of them had a clue who could have turned him.

"We'll figure it out" Derek said in a desperate attempt to change the subject.

"We have a question" Scott added, understanding why Derek felt so uncomfortable.

"What is it?"

Derek and Scott both tried to describe the "no scent" situation the best they could, feeling more confused than they did before.

"Isn't it obvious?" Deaton deadpanned after they finished talking.

"No, not particularly" Derek said, not bothering to hide his frustration.

"Lions," Deaton started as he leant on his desk "are predators. Brilliant predators, in fact. They're able to conceal themselves so well that the only time their prey are able to see them is the split second before they kill. My theory is; if a lion can do that , a supernatural one can too. Meaning hiding their scent wouldn't be that hard to do"