Taken by the Enemy

A ear piercing ring filled Adrian's head, how long had he been out? What happened? Did anyone else survive?

"What got him?" He heard a female voice say.

"He fell off a building, most likely from a training session," said a male voice.

"But his belt is missing, Vince," the woman spoke again. Vince? Where has Adrian heard that name before? Adrian started to think of time his parents were still alive. It slowly came back to him, Vince used to be a leader of the Dedix guild but was thrown out of power by Swarm, the new leader. A baby started crying, but it didn't seem to be in the room. Adrian could hear someone rush out of the room to look after the baby. A few minutes passed as the crying died down, footsteps grew louder until they had entered the room.

"What's wrong?" said Vince.

"Nothing, Devin was just hungry," said the woman with a quiet and soft tone. So the baby's name is Devin, Adrian thought. These people must be playns.

"Saki, please get me a cold rag," said Vince, Adrian could feel his eyes on him. He slowly opened his eyes and looks around. A blond man was leaning over him, looking at his head.

"He's awake," he said, and turned to look at the woman. Adrian now noticed the baby in her arms, a bald baby, and a black haired woman. She made quick strides over to Adrian, Vince took the baby and left the room.

"How are you feeling, dear?" She asked. Adrian stared at her and tried to sit up. She laid a hand on his shoulder and eased him back down.

"Don't sit up, please. You could get nauseous," she said in a stern tone.

"But I feel fine," he said. Laying back down and trying to hold his head up.

"You have only just woke up."

"How long have I been out?"

"Only a few hours, Devin has been anxious to meet you. We already took away any weapons you may have," she said, looking at him. Weapons?

"I don't hurt people," Adrian said, sitting up quickly and staring at her. Balls of light filled his vision again.

"Now you've gone and got yourself dizzy, haven't you?" She said, laughing a little. Adrian slowly steadied and looked around, taking note of where everything is in his mind.

"So, you are a Napis?" Saki asked.

"Oh— yea."

"Me and my husband Vince Moon are dedix," she said, staring at him.

"Dedix!" Yelled Adrian, backing up so fast that he fell. Saki quickly helped him back to his feet with a gentle touch.

"Please don't be afraid!" She said in a panic, "we won't hurt you!"

"How do I know you won't?" He retorted, "You Dedix are always tricking and killing!"

"Tricking and killing? Well that's a strong stereotype, isn't it?" She said, "if that were all we did then you wouldn't even have woken up. We helped you." Adrian slowly got back to his feet and closed his eyes.

"Who are your parents?"

"They're uh— gone."

"Oh.. please forgive me for reminding you of that.."

"Oh it's ok, I don't mind it," said Adrian, keeping eye contact with her. Vince slowly entered the room with a horror struck face.

"Saki.. Devin turned on the lights," he said in a distance whisper. Saki turned to look at him in confusion.

"It's normal for babies to be curious," she said, Vince got close to her and gripped her shoulders so tight that she winced. Adrian watched them quietly.

"No.. he used light, no switches, our son has the power of light!" He whispered loudly. Saki's eyes widened then horror flashed across her face.

"How— Where is he," she said in an urgent tone.

"He's in the living room," he said, then turned to point at Adrian, "you. Stay here." They rushed out, leaving Adrian alone in the room. He looked around then slowly made his way to a window that had been covered by a bed sheet. He slowly moved it just enough for him to peak out. Candles lit the walls of the Dedix's cave facility.

"Whoa," he mumbled, looking at all of the houses and lights. Someone entered the room behind that then ran over, seizing Adrian's arm and pulling him back. Saki peered out the window then moved the bed sheet back into place.

"What do you think you're doing," she yelled, casting an angry look at Adrian then back at the window. Adrian steeped back then looked away.

"I was just curious," he said in a shy tone. Saki grabbed his wrist and walked out into their living room, Vince and Devin were sitting on the floor.

Vince looked up at them, "what's going on?"

"He was looking out the window, anyone could of seen him. Everyone knows it's just you, the babe, and I who live here."

"I'll leave if you want me to," said Adrian, looking at both of them then focusing on Devin as he casts a light over his hand.

"About that... Vince, he has no where else to go.. can he just?—" said Saki, Vince had gotten up and started staring at Adrian.

"Why can't he go with a friend or something?"

"Do you really think he will find them after what Swarm has done," Asked Saki, that made Vince go quiet.

"He will be staying with us until he says otherwise," she said, picking up Devin and strolling off to a room. Vince didn't take his eyes off Adrian.

"Do you have an objection to this," He asked.

"Not at all."