13

❝she would smile even though a storm
was brewing inside her.❞

C H A P T E R  T H I R T E E N

She paced around her room, as she sighed. Something wasn't right, Reese was and is stronger than her, his capture seemed too easy to accomplish. She walked out of her room as she reached the room where Reese was held.

"Hello." Reese smirked at her baby sister who held a glare on her face. "Aww, don't frown sister, it'll make you look old."

Veronica scowled looking at him. "What is it? What do you want? No matter how many times I've said the truth it wasn't enough to please you." She spat as Reese looked unfazed.

"Your truth means nothing to me sister. I saw it, I saw you kill her with my own eyes." Reese said to her as Veronica sighed. "Did you?" Veronica asked turning to him, as he looked a bit confused. "Did you see me?"

Reese's face hardened a bit. "Something like that." Veronica scoffed chuckling sarcastically. "You didn't." Reese raised his brows weakly. "I smelled your existence which was good enough for me." Veronica scoffed as she walked out of the room slamming the doors shut. She could always ask one of the originals to compel him, but she wanted to show the truth to him by herself.

Walking to her room she grabbed a towel, and slipped off her clothes. "What a sight."

Veronica jumped as she wrapped to the towel around her body turning around. She chuckled awkwardly. "Are you stalking me Niklaus?"

Niklaus scoffed, but still smiled. "I was wondering if you would still invite me to swimming. Considering you asked me last time." Niklaus somehow felt connected to her. After these past four month he grew to like the girl. And after seeing that she was important to his brother he was determined to protect her. Always and forever, Niklaus had said to himself.

But he didn't think through the whole protecting the damsel. He didn't think that he'd actually like her this much. Considering the fact that he's the original hybrid, who people call a monster. But even monsters have feelings.

"I thought you said that that's a wish that'll never be granted?" Veronica smirked at him as he did the same. "I lied."

"Well I never take down a suggestion." Veronica shrugged as she walked closer to him. "But now-- get the hell away from my room." She pushed him away from her room as she closed the doors hearing his laughter. Veronica breathed out as she leaned against the closed doors. She smiled to herself as she changed into her bikinis putting a robe on as she walked to the pool.

○○○

As she neared the back yard where the pool was she frowned. No one was there. Veronica huffed, slightly annoyed as she untied the knot on her robe as it fell to the floor. She brushed her hair back as she sprinted to the pool as she jumped.

She loved the water. Veronica loved it so much, the way the coldness hugged her warm body.

Swimming back up she smirked. "Hmm, I don't recall inviting you."

Elijah scoffed, smiling slightly which made Veronica's wider. "Niklaus went on errands so I came to a conclusion to accompany you. Even though I won't come into the water."

"How nice of you." Veronica said, as she slowly got closer to the edge where Elijah was. "But I don't think your wish will be granted." With that Veronica grabbed his hands as she pulled him to the water.

Elijah swam up, brushing his hair back looking at Veronica who was laughing which made him smile. "See you're smiling!" Veronica yelled excitedly as Elijah frowned.

"No I'm not."

"You smiled!"

"I didn't!"

While their childish bickering, one person couldn't help but to feel slightly hurt. Even when she wasn't even his, he felt like he was drowning in pain and sorror. He didn't want anyone to hurt him ever again, especially her. On that day, Niklaus made a promise to himself. He wouldn't fall inlove with her, because love is a vampire's greatest weakness.