dance with me

It was one of those nights, Riley's eyes were shining a little too bright and my heart was racing a little too quick.

I was in love with her, really.

As much as want to say that it wasn't one of those stereotypical unrequited teen love stories, it was. I loved her with every ounce of my being. From her flowing brown hair to her delicate, soft fingertips.

I sat at the bay window patiently, watching her add the finishing touches to her makeup for the party we were going to tonight. Our first high school party, that is.

"Hey," Riley turned around and beamed at me

"How do I look?" she asked. My eyes stated at her blankly, taking in all of her beauty. I smiled a dopey love struck grin at her and replied "You look lovely".

The brunette visibly blushed and looked down at her feet, clearly holding back a smile.

"Thanks." She mumbled.

I never understood why she did that. She tended to shut herself off from other people, keep them from seeing who she really is. A part of me blames it on the bullying incident back in eighth grade, while the more sensible part knows that it's just the way society taught her to be.

My feet planted firmly on the ground when I stood up from my spot and reached for her hand, dragging her down to her parents liquor cabinet.

"I can't believe the Riley Matthews is going to do this." I teased.

She ignored my comment and picked up the metal water bottle. I watched as my innocent best friend unscrewed the dark liquor and carefully poured it into the water bottle. She filled it about halfway before putting everything back into place and glancing up at me for further directions.

For a second, I was almost proud of our ability to make the cabinet look like it was never even touched in the first place.

"Let's go" I smirked.

~

Riley and I walked through the streets of downtown New York, travelling to Farkle's house. Hands still attached, noses and cheeks tinted bright red.

Normally, Riley would notice my blushes but I was able to push it aside by blaming it on the cold.

It was warm today.

I expected her to ask me the usual question, and to take advantage of the fact that my only excuse is now gone.

Time passed while I silently tried to come up with excuses for when she asks. I waited and waited, but the question never came.

Feeling only slightly confused, I turned to look at her and see that she was blushing just as much as I was, if not more.

We were quieter than usual, something in the air somehow made it all the more comforting. I pulled her hand into my hoodie pocket, closing the distance between us in the process. Riley casually bumped shoulders with me and rested her head on my shoulder for a couple of seconds, burying herself in my hair.

"You alright?" I asked, interrogating her sudden silence.

She shook her head lightly. "I'm just scared Maya, it's my first time drinking." Riley admitted.

I replied by squeezing her hand and turning the corner to reach Farkle's house.

It wasn't a big party, just Farkle, Lucas, Zay, Isadora, Riley and I. The only difference was that alcohol was invited now.