girl next door (part 1)

The bay window was never perfect. For years, I tried everything to get rid of that incomplete feeling it produced. I replaced the curtains, put in softer cushions, and decorated it with different coloured pillows. No matter what I did, it was always clear that something was missing.

During my childhood, I used to keep the window unlocked and open at all times. My innocence had me convinced that one day, someone would come through my window and into my life. It was foolish to me to believe in such a thing.

As I grew into my adolescence, I started to accept the reality of my life, and locked up the window. It surprised me how I never once thought that the open window was basically an invitation to be robbed in the city of New York.

Lately, my favourite pastime was to sit alone in the bay window, deep in my own thoughts and itching for something to happen in my bland life.

My little brother Auggie came running into my room, as energetic as he always was, maybe even more. When he was 6, he fell in love with the girl in the apartment across from ours. Her name was Ava and they've been together ever since.

I always longed for what he had. Auggie and my parents were lucky enough to have met their soulmates at a young age. Maybe I would have met my soulmate too if I never lost hope that someone would come though my window.

Now I'm 16, and my biggest fear is that no one will ever love me back.

"Hey buddy." I greeted him warmly and ruffled his curly hair.

Auggie laughed and pushed me away from him. "Riley! I'm in the third grade now, I'm not a baby anymore." He whined.

"Alright, August." I replied, being sure to avoid his nickname.

The little boy took a step back and frowned, crossing his arms across his chest. "Okay, I'm not that old! It's still Auggie."

I stood up and ushered him towards the door of my room. "What's so important that you came barging in here so excitedly?"

My little brother looked up at me with his big brown eyes and smiled with whatever teeth he had that didn't fall out yet. "You know that apartment beside ours that's been empty for years?"

I nodded in response.

"A family moved into it! I mean- it's just a mother and a daughter but still! I saw it with my own two eyes, the daughter is blonde just like Ava and she's your age."

"Really?" It was shocking, to say the least. That apartment hadn't been occupied in years.

Auggie nodded and grabbed my hand, tugging me into our kitchen.

Without turning around, my mom kept her attention on the dinner she was cooking for us.

"Riley! I'm glad to see you're not sitting in that window anymore." She laughed. "I'm guessing Auggie told you the good news already?"

"Yeah." I shrugged, pretending like it was no big deal. Although deep down, I was shaking with excitement at the thought of making a new friend.

"You should bake them one of your famous peach pies! It'll be a great way to welcome our new neighbours." My mom suggested, her gaze still focused on stirring a pot of soup.