Old Wounds and New

Damien opened his eyes weakly, the floor was hard concrete and slightly damp. Twisting his body he felt the sharp pain in his neck and winced.

"Morning pretty boy" an unfamiliar voice caught his attention, his head was still ringing, but he pulled himself painfully up to a wall. A man was sitting carelessly on a box, one leg dangling and the other bent. He was pale white and tall, wearing black boots, jeans, and a jacket over a white shirt.

"Who are you? Where's Raven?" Damien struggled to focus.

"I'm right here" Raven was balled up in a corner, bars separated them. She looked small and scared tucked up in the fetal position, and shaking. He noticed a red ring around her neck where she'd been strangled unconscious as well.

"Hey!" the man snapped twice "Lover boy! Pay attention". Damien pulled his attention to the man, he stood at the front bar to his cell. "Consider today the start of your training, don't worry I wont mess up your face too bad" he opened the bars and stepped in "Get up". Damien forced himself to a painful stand using the wall as leverage, he felt weak. "Good, now put your fist up" he mimicked his words by putting his own up. Damien put his fist in the air and punched weakly at his captor. It was dodged easily and he was bent over by the man using his forward momentum against him. Damien felt three sharp knees in his chest and stomach, before he could right himself a foot jabbed into his side sending him flying into the cell wall. "Names Alexander by the way, maybe you've heard of me" his voice was predatory. "And YOU... Are one of my LEAST favorite people right now" with every emphasized word he kicked him hard again in the stomach before walking out. Damien wheezed and spit blood struggling to breath. He wanted to reach out and grab him, but the pain was too great and he was already walking away closing the cell behind him. Struggling to look up he saw Raven hadn't moved. Extending one arm he fought through the pain to drag himself over to Raven like a zombie. Touching her was the only familiar thing he had right now, and it was a comfort. She rewarded his effort, wrapping her hand around his and pulling herself as close as she could.

"I'm so sorry" she whispered seeing the blood streak from his mouth.

"Don't say that" he gasped barely regaining his breath "It's not your fault".

"Yes it is, how could it not be? You're here because of me" tears began their way down her face. Damien pulled himself up and kissed her cheek, tasting the salty tears on them.

"I'd rather be in here with you then out there without you" Damien smiled a bloody smile and wiped her tears away.

***

"They haven't called in hours, their phones are on but I can't see them" Cyber paced the floor "I think its official worry time".

"You think Alexander got them?" Joe stood by Cyber as he plugged his phone into his laptop trying to catch the other ends signal.

"If he did we're all going to have to pitch in a rescue mission" Bloodbath had taken his place pacing the floor "We have to get Alexander in the open if we want to get him".

"I can take him head on" Joe looked at Bloodbath as if he'd challenged him directly.

"Who knows how much better he's gotten over the years" Bloodbath pointed out.

"I think I just about cracked the signal spoof" Cyber commented.

****

A metal scraped across the concrete floor, a tray with a bag from taco bell on it.

"Basic bean burritos" Alexander returned into view "We didn't have food and none of us like to cook so I was like eh taco bell it is" he took a bite of a taco. "Have you ever thought that we're just drifting on the waves of time, just like nothing matters, we're all just, going?".