Phase Nine

Phase Nine

         “So…” Angeletta began, shoving Philippe out of the workout room, “What were you guys talking about? Did he ask you out yet?”

         “What?” I cried, “Why on earth would he do that?” He wasn’t crazy, as far as I knew. Besides, it would be very unfaithful to his one true love, as he called her. Didn’t Angeletta know?

         “Because...he likes you!” Angeletta cried, “He’s always staring at you! And admit it: You like him back! Ah, never mind. Let’s start some intense training again! But…don’t think I’ll give this up so easily.” Angeletta shot me a sly smile and I shook a befuddled little head back at her. Angeletta shook her head and pushed me down into a split. Okay…

         Ow. I’ll admit anything, now. Ah, the pain!

         “Bye!” I called to Wayne and sprinted off to the cardio training room. I went to the wall-map to find the treadmill section when I noticed a funny-looking stack of cardboard boxes next to me.

         “Hey, Elodie!” I heard Philippe’s whisper behind me, “Elodie, can you come here for a sec? “ I sighed and trotted over to the cardboard box Philippe was apparently under.

         “You would think that a spy as yourself would actually think of a hiding spot, not an elementary schooler’s game of hide-and-seek,” I raised my eyebrows.

         “Wow, Angeletta’s rubbing off on you,” Philippe commented, still beneath the box.

         “Wait…how would you know that if you’re under that box?” I asked, slightly confused. After all, the box was solid cardboard: there was no way he could see through that!

         “Nice logic, Elodie,” Philippe’s voice came from behind. I whirled around to see him standing there, grinning, with his hands in the pockets of his jeans, “I’m a good ventriloquist. I can make my voice come from anywhere in the room. Like this: ‘Hello!’” When Philippe said “hello”, he was clearly not in my shoes, but it sounded as if it was coming from my feet.

         “That’s pretty cool,” I admitted, “Now stop stalling and tell me why you held me up. It’s about…Angeletta, right?” Philippe grinned and showed me a pretty crystal necklace.

         “Yup. I know I’m shooting high, but…well…would you accept it?” Philippe asked.

         I played with the crystal snowflake necklace on the way to the cardio room, stuffing the little blue box into my knapsack before entering.

         “Hey, Elodie!” Angeletta greeted, “Okay…see, I have to go help Philippe put together a training test for you, so Pierre told me to tell you to go back to Wayne and work a bit more behind the desks. He says he could use someone like you. Not many people are good at those things…me being one of them. See you later!”

         “Um…hi-bye?” I managed before Angeletta shot off down the hall. That sure was odd. But then again, I didn’t mind spending time doing calculations and testing chemicals in the codes or chemistry wings. Where would Wayne be now? Oh, yes, codes room 25, hidden codes. Apparently, Wayne specialized in decoding those or something.

         I made my way to the 25th room in the codes wing and knocked on the door, tapping my foot impatiently. A very sleepy Wayne answered, muttering something that sounded like, “and every ‘A’…so ‘B’…but not…” He took his glasses off and continued muttering, rubbing his eyes.