chapter 13

Just ignore the stares; they'll go away. It was a mantra, one Rachel had repeated to herself a lot over the years. She needed it today of all days because the daycare was closed because of some stupid health scare and both of her father's were stuck at work, Figgins had approved of Rachel bring Beth to school on the proviso she did not interrupt classes. It had been a trying few weeks, from having to deal with Santana and Quinn to Kurt's sincere albeit surprising apology; Mike had been true to his word and avoided his girlfriend choosing instead to repair his friendship with Matt. No other friendships were on the mend; Kurt's apology meant his friendship with Mercedes who refused to budge was suffering, Puck and Quinn seemed to be on the rocks and that blonde kid Sam was always around her.

"There's my gorgeous niece!" Indi cooed planting a kiss on Beth's cheek. "I told you guys that daycare centre sucked."

"I'm sure everything will be cleared up by tomorrow." Rachel said with confidence she didn't exactly feel. "Of course now I have to dispel the rumours that the real reason I left last year was to have an illegitimate child; depending on whom you ask it is either Finn's, Puck's or Jacob's."

"I heard it was Mr Schue's." Artie added having just joined the conversation.

"Got to love the high school rumour mill." Rachel sighed placing her books in Beth's stroller and making a silly face at her sister. "As long as you don't suddenly start calling me mama I think we'll be fine."

"Wow it's true, tubbers did have a baby." Santana sneered. "She really does want to be you Quinn."

"I know they say imitation is a form of flattery but it just makes me want to vomit." Quinn replied wrinkling her nose.

"Don't you do that after every meal anyway?" Brittany asked not even realizing she was insulting the other blonde.

"Shut up you half wit!"

"Leave her alone Quinn!" Artie yelled defending his girlfriend, Beth started to cry at all the commotion giving Rachel at least a reason to glare darkly at the two cheerios.

"Come here sweetie." Rachel said gently pulling her sister from the pram and settling her against her chest.

"Beth I hear you calling
but I can't come home right now
me and the boys are playing,
and we just can't find the sound.

Just a few more hours
and I'll be right home to you
I think I hear them calling
Oh Beth what can I do?
Beth what can I do?"

She sang softly, Jackson had been the first to sing the song to the munchkin as he called her and ever since it calmed her instantly.

"What did you just sing?" Quinn demanded the blood having drained from her face.

"What business is that of yours?" Rachel snapped settling Beth back in her pram now that she was calm. "Sorry Beth needs changing, I'll meet you in Spanish."

Indi and Brittany offered to come with since Brittany needed to reapply her make up.

"This really wasn't built for changing babies on." Rachel griped making a face at the smell of the diaper.

"She smells like my cat after she has an accident." Brittany said wrinkling her nose.

"What was with Boob Job and Ex-Preggers outside?" Indi asked hoisting herself up next to the sink.

"Indi just because we don't like them doesn't mean we should resort to calling them names; that makes us no better than them." Rachel lectured multi-tasking this with redressing Indi in her pink tights and white dress fastening the shiny black Mary Janes carefully.