Chapter 5 // Pulse

"Tell me what you did Amai." I shouted.
"Budo I don't know what you're talking about." she continued to back away as I edged closer to her.
"It doesn't seem like nothing to me."
"Whatever happened to your girlfriend, I'm not involved, I swear!"
"I know you did something, and when I find out what.."
"Budo I didn't-" she was cut off by exclaiming in pain. While backing up she had put her hand on the top of the oven and burnt herself.
"What's the matter? Truth hurts? We like to call that karma."
"For the LAST time-"
"Budo!" Ayano ran in.
"Ayano stay out of this."
"Budo she didn't.. well I guess she.. look it's not important, okay!?" she grabbed my arm and pulled me away from Amai.
"You're crazy! Good luck being a club leader when everyone finds out what you-" before Amai could finish, Ayano grabbed her red scarf and pulled her close to her.
"Now you listen here: if anyone asks, you burnt yourself while cooking. Budo came to ask you about a recipe he wanted to make at home - and I was never here. If you so much as THINK about ratting out on Budo, I will make your life a living hell. Do you understand me?" she murmured seriously.
"Whatever, I understand. You're the perfect psycho couple." she looked at us both.

Ayano grabbed my hand and pulled me out. I put my middle finger up to Amai while we left without looking back.
"Asshole." she muttered.

Ayano shoved me against the wall and made sure nobody was around.

"ARE YOU INSANE!?" she whisper shouted.
"What did she do Ayano?" I ignored her question.
"Nothing important, did you even think? If she tells anyone.."
"She WON'T." I said confidently.
"You stubborn.." she paused, "Let me deal with my own problems Budo." she pushed me and walked in the other direction.

"If it's your problem, then it's my problem." I whispered, re-entering the cooking club.

"Oh for.. will you just leave already?"
"Ayano won't be here to interrupt this time." I shut the door.
"You're pathetic."
"Am I?" I edged closer to her again.
"You don't scare me." she said with a glimpse of fear in her eye.
"Is that so?" I had her cornered.
"You aren't gonna do anything." she said angrily.

I grabbed her by the neck and lifted her slightly against the wall.

"The rules are simple." I smirked, "You're gonna tell me what you did, and we're going to resolve this."
"But.. I didn't.." she gasped for air.
"Or." I continued, "You're going to keep denying it - and I'll be forced to take action."
"I never.. talk.. to your g-girlfriend.." she grabbed at my hand, trying to pull it away. Hm, girlfriend? Seems more serious. I'll play along.
"Really? Because my.. girlfriend.. seemed to be uncomfortable when she saw you this morning. Nobody else. Her mood changed because of YOU."
"You're.. disgusting." I laughed as I got right up to her ear.
"And you're dying." I whispered, before pulling back again. "So, you going to admit it orrrr?" her face was losing life rapidly.
"Not.. on m-my.. dead.. bod-bo.." she stopped talking and her eyes shut. I moved my hand away from her and she flopped to the ground lifelessly.

~ What did I just do.. ~

I immediately called Ayano and started panicking.
"Hello? Budo what's wro-"
"A-Ayano I think I.. I just wanted to protect.. I'm a mur.. I don't know what to do." I started freaking out.
"Budo calm down, where are you?"
"No no Ayano you don't.. you don't understand."
"I think I do Budo. Are you in the cooking club?"
"Y-Yeah."
"Just stay there, okay? Don't panic." she said calmly. I drooped against the wall and felt a tear dribble down my face.

"Okay."

I suddenly heard someone burst through the door. Please be Ayano.

"Hey." it was her, thank god. "You got yourself into a little mess here didn't you?" she shut the door behind her.
"W-Why don't you hate me? Call the police or something."
"Hey, we're going to sort this out, alright?" she kneeled down next to me and wiped my tears away. "Everything's gonna be fine."

She got up and held Amai's wrist, checking for a pulse. Nothing.

Well, about that Budo..

Ayano?

She had a pulse.

What!?

Look, let me explain.

I checked for her pulse to comfort Budo, but I realised something. If we kept her alive, she would have told everyone. There was a mark over her neck, they would have known. They would have done a DNA test and found Budo.

I wasn't going to let you go down like that Budo.

Hm..

I'm sorry I didn't tell you Budo, I thought you'd freak out.

Okay well.. there's not much I can do now, so I guess I'll just continue, ahem.

Ayano told me she had no pulse and I immediately started panicking. I thought for sure I'd go to jail. I'd never see Ayano or my club or family again.

"It's gonna be okay Budo." Ayano came over to me and gave me a warm, kind hug.
"I don't deserve you." I hugged her back. It was very comforting.

"We should move her to the storage cupboard until class time, by then the delinquents will be gone and I'll take care of the body. You just need to go to class and pretend nothing happened, alright sweetie?"

"You don't need to patronise me like that, sweetie." since she had been sitting on me, I picked her up and put her on the counter. "I can do this."

"You're sure?"
"I'm sure, just wait here."

I left the room and closed the door behind me, heading to the storage cupboard. I pushed the case all the way back the cooking club, where Ayano was calmly eating pastries and cookies that Amai had made.

"I hope you give him food poisoning with your shitty cookies." she murmured. I didn't think about it too much.

I dumped the body in the case and shut the lid. Without even talking to Ayano I left once again and headed over to the incinerator. I got a few remarks from the delinquents, but it didn't bother me. I threw the corpse into the incinerator and made my way back to the storage closet, then finally back to Ayano.

"Done." I announced.
"Good, now remember. Don't. Tell. A soul." she put her finger on my lips. "Got it?" she talked in such a calming tone, I felt hypnotised by her eyes. I nodded and put my hand against hers (which remained on my lips.)

"Why are you looking at me like that?" she asked.
"Like what?" I moved her hand away, still holding onto it.
"Nothing.. anyway.."