Chapter 2 // Rain

It was a day like any other.
I woke up.
I showered.
I ate breakfast.
I got ready for school.
I left.
I arrived at school.
I "learnt"
I attended club meetings.
I got ready to leave school.
Rain.
Rain?
Rain!
It was very rare for it to rain. That was strike one. I didn't have a coat, nor did I have an umbrella since rain wasn't a usual occurrence.
"Great.." I mumbled to myself.
"You don't have a coat?" a mysterious voice crept up behind me like a shadow emerging from the darkness.
"You scared me." I smiled to myself.
"Aren't you the martial arts master? I thought you'd be ready for a surprise attack. I guess not." the monotone voice continued. I could only hear it, but not see the person.
"Wow, giving me mad shade there." I laughed, "Where are you?"
"At my locker. Where did you think?" another sarcastic remark continued to mock me. I looked down the aisles of lockers until I eventually found a girl rummaging through her locker. She had silky black hair tied up in a drooping ponytail.
"Found ya!" I laughed once again.
"What an achievement. You should be proud." she pulled something out of her locker and was about to open it.
"Hey, is that an umbrella?" I asked.
"Good observation."
"Don't open it indoors! It's bad luck." I reached my hand out to stop it, accidentally missing and grabbing her hand instead.
"Luck has never been on my side. It won't effect me."
"You're so mysterious..." I pulled my hand away.
"I'm a mystery you shouldn't want to get involved with. Here." she passed me her umbrella.
"Oh I can't take this, I'll be fine." I smiled, returning it to her hands.
"Where do you live?"
"Buraza Town, why?" I asked.
"I live there too, so we can share it."
"Oh! Thank you!"
"Mhm. Anyway, why don't you have one of your own?"
"It rarely ever rains, how did you know to bring one?" I asked.
"It was on the news this morning, dummy."
"Wow, you're quite the sassy one aren't ya, shadow?"
"Sassy? Hm." she smirked
"Does the shadow have a name?" I asked.
"Ayano. Ayano Aishi."
"Well it's nice to meet you Ayano, Ayano Aishi." I put out my hand which she shook. Her hands were soft and dainty, she was like a harmless, innocent little cloud of ha-
"Hello?" she awoke me from my imagination.
"Oh, sorry - I got a little distracted."
"Clearly, I asked for your name."
"Sorry once again. My name is Budo Masuta."
"Well, let's go then Masuta-Kun."
"Budo." I smiled
"Got it." she walked out the door exposing herself to the rain, trying to open out her umbrella.
"Hey! You're gonna catch a cold if you stand out in the rain like that." I took the umbrella from her and gently pulled her back inside. "I'll do it." I stood outside and attempted to open the umbrella - with no success.
"Budo it's-"
"It's fine! I can do it." I continued to struggle out in the rain.
"Budo it's broken!" she raised her voice a little, pulling me forcefully indoors. I handed it back to her and began taking off my jacket. "Are you stupid?" she asked.
"Yes." I answered, putting my hand through my hair. "It's not great, but it's the best I can do." I put the jacket over my head and stepped outside, offering her a hand.
"Stupid umbrella." she laughed a little, taking my hand and stepping close to me to get under my jacket.
"Gasp! She smiles!"
"Oh shut up. Anyway.. aren't you cold?"
"Freezing." I shivered.
"Is anyone here?" she sighed.
"Just us and a few teachers. Wh-" before I could ask why, she wrapped her arms around me and gave me a sweet, warm hug. I felt my shivering stop almost instantly.
"Only because you're helping me." she defended herself. Strike two.
"Who knew shadows could be so warm.." I accidentally spoke out loud, wrapping my one remaining arm around her.
"You tell anyone about this and I'll-"
"I won't." I laughed.
"You better not." she released, "Now lets go before you start getting cold again."

As it turned out, me and Ayano lived pretty close to each other. We were only about 2 minutes walking distance - which was good for me as I was freezing cold. I dropped her off and waited as she unlocked the door so she could stay dry until she entered her house.
"Arigato Budo."
"It was really no problem." I smiled.
"Regardless. Do you want to stay for a drink until the rain dries up a bit?"
"I'd love to but I can't, my mom will pester me if I'm not home soon." I sighed
"If you insist."
"This won't be our first and last meeting, will it?" I asked.
"Not if you don't want it to be. Go home Budo." she spoke cryptically.
"Goodbye.. I'll see you again soon then." I smiled.
"Thank you again." she kissed me on the cheek. Strike three.
"N-No problem.. B-Bye Ayano.." I blushed.
"Bye Budo." she closed the door gently. I stood there for a while pondering what had happened, but I couldn't think of it too much. I had to get home.

When I arrived, I realised that my key was in my jacket pocket. Brilliant. Outside the house was a lone motorcycle, meaning only my sister was home. I banged on the door, but no reply. She must have been watching YouTube or listening to loud music again. Typical.
"REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY! LET ME IN!" I shouted, continuing to bang on the door. After a minute or two, she opened the door and laughed at me.
"Impatient." she smirked, "Look what the cat dragged in."
"Piss off." I rolled my eyes.
"Rude." she said running back upstairs to the hamster cage she called her bedroom.
I took my shoes off and went upstairs, grabbing some warm clothes and turning on the shower. I locked the door and prepared for warmth. Something I needed.