Chapter Seven. My Godfather Is A Smart Arse.

I thought this chapter would be longer, but I believe that must be a lie. I couldn't drag it out more than this.

___________

Harry had invited Ron down to see Hagrid, which Violet was okay with, she didn't really feel the need to bring other people. She had noticed that Sasha had started to spend a lot of time with the twins over the week, and was getting even more mischievous, which was a little worrying.

Addie and Harley spent all their time together.

At five to three they left the castle and made their way across the grounds. Hagrid lived in a small wooden house on the edge of the forbidden forest. A crossbow and a pair of galoshes were outside the front door.

When Harry knocked they heard a frantic scrabbling from inside and several booming barks. Then Hagrid's voice rang out, saying, "Back, Fang -- back."

Hagrid's big, hairy face appeared in the crack as he pulled the door open.

"Hang on," he said. "Back, Fang."

He let them in, struggling to keep a hold on the collar of an enormous black boarhound.

There was only one room inside. Hams and pheasants were hanging from the ceiling, a copper kettle was boiling on the open fire, and in the corner stood a massive bed with a patchwork quilt over it.

"Make yerselves at home," said Hagrid, letting go of Fang, who bounded straight at Ron and started licking his ears. Like Hagrid, Fang was clearly not as fierce as he looked.

Violet laughed at Ron, and scratched Fang around the ears.

"This is Ron," Harry told Hagrid, who was pouring boiling water into a large teapot and putting rock cakes onto a plate.

"Another Weasley, eh?" said Hagrid, glancing at Ron's freckles. I spent half me life chasin' yer twin brothers away from the forest."

The rock cakes were shapeless lumps with raisins that almost broke their teeth, but Harry and Ron pretended to be enjoying them as they told Hagrid all about their first -lessons, Violet did eat them, just taking the raisins out, because she was allergic to them. Fang rested his head on Harry's knee and drooled all over his robes.

Harry and Ron were delighted to hear Hagrid call Fitch "that old git."

"An' as fer that cat, Mrs. Norris, I'd like ter introduce her to Fang sometime. D'yeh know, every time I go up ter the school, she follows me everywhere? Can't get rid of her -- Fitch puts her up to it."

Harry told Hagrid about Snape's lesson. Hagrid, like Ron, told Harry not to worry about it, that Snape liked hardly any of the students.

"He hates me too, you know," Violet told Harry. "But then again, I came into class late, got a detention, then I did yell at him, waving a stirrer at him, telling him that his idea of perfection wasn't good enough."

"But he seemed to really hate me."

"Rubbish!" said Hagrid. "Why should he?"

Violet saw that those words didn't reach his eyes, but she didn't bring it up.

"How's yer brother Charlie?" Hagrid asked Ron. "I liked him a lot -- great with animals."

While Ron told Hagrid all about Charlie's work with dragons, Harry picked up a piece of paper that was lying on the table under the tea cozy. It was a cutting from the Daily Prophet, and Violet read over his shoulder:

  GRINGOTTS BREAK-IN LATEST

  Investigations continue into the break-in at Gringotts on 31 July, widely believed to be the work of Dark wizards or witches unknown.

  Gringotts goblins today insisted that nothing had been taken. The vault that was searched had in fact been emptied the same day.

  "But we're not telling you what was in there, so keep your noses out if you know what's good for you," said a Gringotts spokesgoblin this afternoon.

"Hagrid!" said Harry, "that Gringotts break-in happened on my birthday! It might've been happening while we were there!"

There was no doubt about it, Hagrid definitely didn't meet Harry's eyes this time. He grunted and offered him another rock cake. Harry read the story again.

Violet watched him, his face was lit up with a determination that she had never seen on his face before, and she couldn't help but think, Aw, Harry's growing up.

When she realized that she had thought that, she shook her head a little.

Later, the three went up to the castle, and the boys were heavily lidden with the rock cakes, and Violet wasn't; she found it pretty funny to be perfectly honest.

Her detention finally came around, so she walked down to the dungeons, and she was grinning at Snape, who was finding her incredibly irritating with that despicable look on her face.

"Why are you so happy?" he asked her, in a curt voice.

She grinned even more. "Just because it's annoying you," she said.

He glared at her, before setting a peice of parchment in front of her. She took out a quill, and sparkly, red ink. She liked sparkles.

"You are to write, 'I am a smart arse'," he said.

"So you're a smart arse, what did you want me to write?" she asked him, her grin growing.

His eyes narrowed. "Fine. You are to write 'Violet Emmaline Lestrange is an annoying know-it-all smart arse'," he said.

"Exactly," she said with a wink, then she paused. "How the hell do you know my middle name?"

"I knew your Father," he replied very curtly.

"And you know my middle name how?"

His eyes narrowed at the ignorant girl, who knew full well what she was doing to him. He had caught on.

"I'm your Godfather," he said with a smirk.

She dropped her quill. "No. Bloody. Way!" she yelled. "Oh that-- that sucks!"

He rolled his eyes. "Get writing."

She stared at him, before shaking her head in disbelief, and started to write down  'Violet Emmaline Lestrange is an annoying know-it-all smart arse' until she ran out of parchment. She handed it over, and then left.

She went back into the common rooms, and screamed in frustraition. "I CAN'T BLOODY BELIEVE IT! THAT BASTARD IS MY-- AURGH!!!!!!"

"What's got you in a bad mood?" Harry asked her.

"My Godfather is a bloody bastard!" she yelled. "I hate him so bloody much!"

"Chris?"

"No, I love Chris," she said. "But he's not my Godfather! He was just a really awesome caregiver. NO MY GODFATHER IS SNAPE!"

Harry store at her, and then started to laugh at her. She punched his shoulder very hard. "Shut up!" she yelled. "I just want to throw my tantrum! No laughing!"

He held up his hands in defeat, but was grinning. "Alright," he said.

She turned around, and started to hit her head into the wall. "My. Life. Sucks!"