Theories of Aggression

Lol I didn't finish but whatever fuck my life

Enjoy ^^

* * *

Aggression refers to the intentional action aimed at doing harm or causing pain (Aronson 1999), the action could either be physical or verbal, it is the intention behind it that Is important. Aggression can be branched off into two different types, the first is hostile aggression, this is affective and stems from feelings of anger and is used to injure or harm. Instrumental aggression however is aggression that is used as a means to an end e.g. utilizing aggression, whether it be verbal or physical to intimidate someone or obtain money.

Numerous studies were used to measure aggression, for example Bandura et al (1963) used bobo dolls to demonstrate aggression is learned; during this study, Bandura showed children, adults playing in a room full of toys, in the room, there would also be an inflatable plastic doll, in one condition, the adults would demonstrate gentle play while in the second condition, the adults would display violent and aggressive behaviour towards the bobo doll.

It was found that in the children who had observed the gentle methods of playing, followed the adult's lead, and played in the room gently whole those who had observed the aggressive behaviour towards the bobo dolls, demonstrated similar aggressive behaviour, even bringing in props and hitting the bobo dolls with other toys. This showed how aggressive behaviour has situational cues and can be learned through observation, it was also found that children were more likely to follow the example of an adult who was the same sex as them, this suggesting that having a further connection between the person they are observing would have a bigger impact on their learned behaviour.

There were other studies conducted to measure aggression such as Buss (1961) who's study included participants deciding whether a button to deliver an electric shock should be pressed or not and many forms of self-report studies were also conducted as a measure of aggression.

However, these measures of aggression have been criticised as there are ethical issues related to the levels of 'aggressive acts' people can be induced to do in experiments, furthermore, these measures are an analogue for measuring aggression in a real scenario.

Some theories view aggression as an instinct; this is an unreflective urge within members of a species that is present from birth (though it may get stronger or weaker in later life).

The ethological perspective for example, looks at the aggressive instinct in animals; ethology is the study of animal behaviour among members of a species in a natural physical and social environment and this perspective suggests that there is an innate component to aggression as well as situational stimuli. Konrad Lorenz, a famous ethologist, defined aggression as the fighting instinct in a beat and man which is directed against members of the same species.

The ethological perspective is based on Darwin's Theory of Evolution. It suggests that aggression has survival value as human beings and other animals have evolved a 'fighting instinct' to maintain an even distribution of members of species and resources, which increases the likelihood of survival. Very few acts of violent aggression are shown towards members of the same species, according to this theory, as aggression is often 'displayed' as a ritualistic behaviour within species, (e.g. Lorenz, 1966).

This is a two-factor theory suggesting that some species have an innate tendency to rise to aggression or aggressive displays due to situational cues. Lorenz (1966) mapped this to people (fighting instinct) and suggested that humans are basically harmless omnivorous creatures lacking in natural weapons to kill big prey with, therefore, did not evolve strong inhibitory mechanisms to prevent aggression.