Chapter Ten

When I woke up everything seemed blurry. I wasn't even able to make out the wall only about ten feet in front of me.

My eyes came into focus after having to blink them a couple of times, and I was finally able to make out my surroundings. The person sitting next to me was no one other than Noah.

Of course, he would be there, him being my second father was never going to change.

"How are you?" He asked, reaching for my hand. His eyes held concern, and I instantly felt bad for making him have to worry like that.

"Stiff," I stated simply, trying to adjust myself into a more comfortable position.

I wasn't lying, my shoulder no longer hurt, but I was still able to feel the stitches in my skin.

The room I was in was a nice lavender color, and it had a very clean smell to it. There was no doubt that I had been brought to the pack doctor. If it wasn't for the room, it was the giant bandage wrapped around my shoulder blade that gave away my location.

"How long have I been out?" I yawned, looking around the room to see if I could find any type of clock.

"Just over night. Mel, you really upset the Alpha. Why didn't you listen to him?" Noah questioned. He had let go of my hand and then stood up to look out the window.

"Because, he isn't the boss of me," I grumbled like a child.

Noah turned and gave me an annoyed look, "You've never trained...—"

"A day in my life." I interrupted, rolling my eyes. "I know that, but I can't help but want to protect my pack."

My beta looked at me with sad eyes, "It won't be your pack for long."

My eyes widened at his words. What was he talking about? I never told Nate that he could have my pack. It was supposed to be our pack. If he wasn't going to accept me as his mate then he couldn't have it!

"Why do you say that?" I finally managed to ask.

Noah sighed and walked back to me. He grabbed my hand in his and tightened his grip. "The Alpha came to me earlier today and told me that he plans on taking over our pack. He believes that it'll be better if everyone in his pack is able to communicate with us through the mind link."

Although Nathaniel had a point. I wasn't just going to hand my people over to him. He had to know better than that!

"Maybe I will be able to work something out with him. We could strike a deal," I whispered. It was hard not to hyperventilate, but somehow, I managed. "I could have him sign a contract! As soon as this war is over, and he doesn't need us anymore he could give you all back."

My beta gave me a look that only meant my idea wouldn't work. "As nice as that would be, I don't think the Alpha would agree to that. Once we all become one, we turn into a bigger family. If he gives us back, it will be like ripping us all into two."

"Ugh, this is so stupid!" I pouted, crossing my arms and throwing my head back like a child. It would be different if Nate and I were Alpha's together, but for obvious reasons, we both knew that wasn't going to happen any time soon. My pack would stay here and help him and his pack out, but we would not be joining with his until he wanted to stop being stubborn and accept me. I refused to let him have my people.

"I am so sorry," Noah frowned, a look of concern covering his facial features.

"Don't be sorry, because he isn't getting my pack," I growled out, sitting myself up.