Chapter Nine

~Chapter Nine~

The four of us sat on the couches in shock for a couple more minutes after the alpha had slammed the door.

There were still rogues out there? I guess I had just automatically assumed Nate had managed to take in or kill off the rest of the werewolves.

Virginia must have saw the bewilderment on my face, because she pinched her lips together and tilted her head to the side as if she was thinking to herself about what she was going to say. Before she even had a chance to speak I stood up.

"I know he said to stay here, but I can't leave Ollie alone..." I murmured, already heading toward the door.

Elizabeth reached out and grabbed my hand, "Aaron has him, he'll be fine."

"Aaron's probably going to go out and help with the rogues. I don't know how strong they are, and if we are going to be staying here we are going to have to help out as much as possible," I explained, pulling my arm out of her grip. “Besides, I don’t want Aaron to take Oliver outside that building. He’s is safer in there.”

"I don't mean to argue with you Melanie, but if it's not safe out there, we can't risk you getting harmed either," Liz mumbled, worry becoming evident on her face.

I rolled my eyes and yanked open the front door, "I'll be fine, and besides I am the least of your worries right now. Please don’t follow me."

The cold air immediately enveloped my body as I took a step outside. The temperature had definitely increased since I was out earlier, but it still stung at my skin. I wrapped my arms around my chest to keep warm. It wasn't really necessary, but it helped keep the now falling snow off my clothes.

It only took me a couple of minutes to show up at the library, and as soon as I opened up the door, I came face to face with Aaron. He held Oliver's hand in his right hand and he was holding a load of informational books on computers in the other. He looked out of breath as he tried to keep calm in front of Ollie.

"What are you doing here?" He asked, his voice rising toward the end of the sentence. "Didn't the alpha tell you to stay inside? It's not safe wandering around alone!"

"I came to get Oliver. I didn't know if you were going to go help or not," I muttered, taking the child's hand in mine.  

"Yeah, I'm on my way out now, and I was just about to bring him to you."

Just as I was about to respond, a loud growl sounded from behind us.

I automatically stiffened and watched as Aaron's eyes widened. "Mel, take Oliver inside now."

I took in a deep breath and turned around to see a mangy looking wolf standing about fifteen feet behind me. His fur was longer than an average wolf, and it was matted in a lot of places. His brown fur looked like it had been through Hell and back, but unlike most werewolves, there was no humanity left in his yellow eyes. He had completely lost control over his wolf, and there was no human side left in him.

If that encounter had happened a couple of weeks before, my natural reaction would have been to run and get as far away as possible, but now I felt the need to shift and protect not only Oliver, but my whole pack. My wolf now considered Nathaniel’s pack as hers; even if he refused to believe we were his Luna. He wouldn't be able to keep up the act. His wolf wouldn't let him.

When I didn't respond, Aaron took a step closer to me, pushing Ollie and I back toward the library.

The rogue snarled at the movement but still didn't move. He kept his head bowed down with his front paws out and his back arched up into the air. By the looks of it, one more wrong move would send him into attack mode.