Chapter 3

❝I'm a kid, and a breakup is normal. I have to go through the emotions and feel it out.❞

ㄧ Selena Gomez

           The next morning, I woke up to the sound of my dad cooking breakfast, and Spencer watching her cartoons on the TV. I smiled, remembering all that happened yesterday. I checked my phone. Cleo had texted me a while ago apologizing for being M.I.A. She said that she ended up talking to some really cute guy and they ended up in the bedroom upstairs doing the dirty deed. Hey, at least I guessed right. But still, she would never cheat on Thomas. I need to find out what happened. I called her, and as usual, she picked up straight away.

           "Hey, Lena! What's up?" She said like nothing happened.

           "Uhh, nothing... I wanna know, just out of curiosity... WHY IN THE NAME OF GOD DID YOU CHEAT ON THOMAS?" I screamed, not being able to control the burst of anger that filled me.

           "I didn't...We broke up during the car ride to the party." I slammed myself backward into my pillows.

           "Why? What happened between you two?" I was really upset because I knew how much they loved each other, and how hard this should be for them.

           "We just had a little fight about what I was wearing, that triggered all the fights we've had before. This made us realize that we have been arguing a little too much lately and that we should maybe spend some time apart. To me, that means a full break-up. I'm sorry I lied to you yesterday when I said he was tired and just gave me permission to do whatever I wanted... I just didn't want to ruin your night out." I started to tear up. I loved seeing them together, the way Thomas looked at her when she talked, and the way she always sent him texts in the morning reminding him how much she loved him... This was too much to take in.

           "Clo, I'm so sorry... Is there anything I can do to help?" I didn't know how to help her. Thomas was her first real boyfriend. I never had the job of helping her get through a breakup before.

           "Nah. I'm fine... Really. And I got that guy's number from the party. Maybe I'll call him later. The only thing you can really do for me is to just never speak of Thomas again. Okay?"

           "Of course Clo. But just in case, if you need anything, just tell me. You know I would do anything for you."

           "Yes, I know. OOH, CUTE BOY IS CALLING. I HAVE TO GO. BYE!" She hung up and I threw my phone to the other side of the bed. How have I not seen this coming? They looked perfectly fine yesterday morning...

           I realized that I never got Matt's phone number, and a part of me just wanted to knock on his door and ask for it, but I didn't wanna seem desperate. I got up and followed the great smell of eggs and bacon into the kitchen.

           After I finished my food, I quickly changed into something cute and walked up to his apartment. I figured that I had nothing to lose anyway. And if it goes well, hey! I'll have his number. I knocked 3 times on the door. I could hear the echo inside. They must still have a lot of furnishing to do. A couple of seconds later the door opened. There he was. Standing with nothing but a pair of shorts on. He had massive abs and very muscular arms. I wanted to touch them so badly...

           "It's you! Hi!" He sounded surprised. Though why wouldn't he be?

           "Hey! Yes, it's me. I was just thinking about last night, and I remembered that I didn't get your phone number. Is there any chance I can get it now?" I realized that it's pretty useless to get his number since he lives right across from me, but I still wanna be able to talk to him without seeing him. You know, for like emergencies and stuff...

           "Yeah! Definitely! Come in and just give me one sec." I entered and closed the door behind me. The rooms were barely furnished and there were many boxes filled with crap everywhere. It reminded me of when I first moved into my apartment.

           "Here you go. You can call or text me anytime! Just don't expect me to pick up between 2:00 and 4:30 in the afternoon on most days. I will be at volleyball practice." Here it is. Volleyball. Another thing we have in common. I played since I was twelve years old. I even coach kids at my old elementary school to get my volunteer hours.

          "Oh my God! I have volleyball practice the same time as you do! Probably not on the same days though..."

           "Wait. Really? I play on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Sometimes Sundays too... Now that I think about it, I have seen your face on the high score board. You're really good. The number of games your team wins is amazing!"

           "Why, thank you! We do practice our butts off!"

           "Well, I'm really sorry, but I have to continue unpacking this stuff. My dad had to leave somewhere and isn't coming back until late at night. But you can come back later and maybe we can go have lunch together somewhere... Deal?" He said with the cutest puppy eyes I've ever seen.

            "Totally. Can't wait! See ya later!" I walked out with the biggest smile I have ever had on my face. I was extremely excited. I plopped onto my slightly made bed and screamed into my pillow. This might just be the second best day of my life... Yesterday being the first, of course.