Chapter 15

❝Closed eyes, heart not beating, but a living love.❞ㄧ Avis Corea

  (Matt's P.O.V.)  

          Everything is blurry. I can only see two big blurry blobs of blue. I can hear slow beeps and faint voices. The smell of rubbing alcohol is burning my nostrils.

          "Wh... Where am I?" I mumble as a pain started to form in my chest.

          "You are in a hospital. Please rest and don't talk or try to get up. Just listen to me, okay? You have been in a car accident on Putney Bridge. When the police found you, they thought you were dead. After bringing you here, we found out that you were in a coma. You have been out for 3 days, Matt. We're really glad that you came back." The voice isn't familiar, so it must be a nurse. I heard the door close, and there was complete silence.

(A week later...)

          I finally got home. I feel a lot better and can't wait to see Elena for the first time in forever. I dialed her number and waited for her to answer, but she didn't. Maybe she was out again. Maybe I can at least talk to Mr. Cullen, and ask him to get her to call me when she gets home.

          I knock on the door, and a few moments later, it opened. Elena's dad looked at me like he's seen a ghost.

          "Umm. Mr. Cullen? Hi! I was just wondering if Elena was here?"

          "Matt? I thought you were dead... Do you not know?

          "So I have heard... And know what?" I ask, and his face started to turn pale.

          "I think you should sit down for this. Come in." The whole apartment is trashed. Garbage bags everywhere, clothes...

          "Elena's dead... She killed herself about a week ago... You didn't know that?" My eyes started to water. I can't see. I can feel my face go red from anger.

          "What? No! She can't be dead. I know her! She wouldn't kill herself..."

          "I'm really sorry, Matt. If you want to read it, here's her suicide note. Also, this is where her grave is in the cemetery." He gave me two slips of paper. I have to go to her grave. I need proof that she is truly dead.

          I drove to the cemetery and found her grave.

          I can see the words written on her tombstone:

          'In Loving Memory of Elena Cullen.

          If we lose love and self-respect for each other,

          this is how we finally die.'

- Maya Angelou

          I sit down on the grass and open the letter. I read every single word a million times, not wanting to get to the next one. A few minutes later, I finally finish reading. I fall backward, and I lay on the grass. It's cold, but I don't care. It's getting late, but I don't care. I'm starving, but I don't care. I just simply don't care anymore. My life is over. How come the one person that I love so much, is now dead. Just because of a stupid accident that happened while I was driving to Le Petit Café... Just because I was grieving over my father's actions, I killed my girlfriend. I can feel water pour down my face. It's raining. But I don't care...