Chapter 8

❝The biggest ingredient in a best friend is someone whose actions you respect and who you can truly be yourself around.❞

ㄧ Renee Olstead Best

          In the morning, Cleo came over to my house so we could catch up with each other's relationship status over some breakfast. My dad went to work early, so he wasn't going to bother us. We had an omelet with some bubble tea she bought on the way to my place. After, we sat down and watched The Parent Trap on TV, because it reminded us of our childhood. We watched this movie so many times, we knew all the scenes in order, and we memorized most of the script. Somehow, it never got old. Cleo insisted that she let me go out with Matt and me one day. I told her that that day would come someday. After the ending of the movie, we ended up deciding on going out to the mall with Isaac so I can meet him. Cleo helped me pick out some clothes to go in, and I grabbed my purse, and we headed out. , Since Cleo couldn't drive, my dad left me his car just in case and he walked instead. Now that I look back on this, my dad was actually very nice to me. Anyway, we got to the mall, and waited for him, while walking around a lingerie store. Their stuff was pretty expensive, so we didn't end up buying anything. He finally came, and we ended up having a great time with him. I always say him in the halls at school, or out in the basketball field playing with his friends. I always thought that he was a jerk since I saw him with new girls every day, but the way he acted with us proved me wrong.

          The day passed pretty quickly. I didn't buy anything, but Cleo and Isaac did. We decided to leave the mall and to go eat some lunch. We got to my car, and I drove to a fast food place. We ordered and decided to eat in the car ride home. Obviously, I would have to wait until I got home to enjoy my meal. I insisted on driving everyone to their home, so I dropped Cleo off first. Isaac moved to the front seat as soon as Cleo got out the car.

          "Hey, Elena? Can I get your phone number? Cleo's birthday is coming up, and I want to do something awesome for her. Obviously, I don't know her that well yet, so I need your help." He asked as I was pulling up to his house.

          "Yeah, for sure. Text me whenever." I replied, putting my number on his phone. He smiled at me and left my car.

           I drove back home wondering what I should do now. I decided to talk to Matt when I got home.

           I got back to my place, texting Matt to ask him if he wanted to do something together. He replied, saying that we could go to his gym and play some one-on-one volleyball. I agreed. I put on my gym clothes, and fixed my makeup.-

          I insisted on driving this time because he drove me everywhere before. We got in my car, and he told me the address of his gym. We got there and started playing right away. Overall, he was pretty good. His serves weren't that good, but neither were mine, so I didn't care. We ended up staying there for many hours.

          It was getting late, and we were getting tired. He wanted to take me to a restaurant, but I told him to come have dinner at my place instead. He agreed, and I drove back to my apartment. My dad wasn't home yet, so I took whatever was in the fridge, and somehow made a three-course meal out of it. It actually turned out to be pretty good. When we finished, my dad still wasn't home. I got a text from him. He told me that he wasn't going to come home, and pull an all-nighter at work.

           "Hey, Matt?" I called out, as he was walking out of the bathroom.

          "Yeah?" He replied, looking at me with his usual smile.

          "My dad isn't coming home, so do you wanna stay a little longer?" I asked, hoping for him to say yes.

           "Of course. If you want me to, I'll even stay the night." He replied, and I smiled back at him in relief.

          We changed into our pj's and cuddled in my bed while watching TV (yes, I had a TV in my room... It was my sweet 16th birthday present). We were tired and fell asleep in each other's arms. 

          I woke up to Matt playing with my hair.

          "Hey... Good Morning." I whispered and kissed him.

          "Good Morning beautiful... I made breakfast. Hope it's edible at least." He said giggling. We had breakfast, that was surprisingly pretty good. We said our goodbye's, and he went back to his apartment. I didn't really feel like doing anything, but it was a Wednesday, so I still had volleyball practice. I mostly just was on social media until I had to get ready to leave.

          The rest of the day was perfect. The practice was great, and Matt took me to get some coffee before we headed home. When I got home, I was relieved to see my dad in the kitchen, finishing up dinner. He talked about his hectic 24 hours at work, and we watched some shows together. After a couple of hours, my dad fell asleep on the couch, and I quietly turned off the TV and went to bed.