004

seokjin ushered you to his car and you stepped in, it was silent outside of you giving him various directions.

later on during the ride you started to laugh without warning, shaking your head in a way that broke the calm in the vehicle and introduced an uneasiness.

"life hates me so much, and it's almost funny how it's just now clicking for me...I'm an idiot."

you shook your head, rummaging through your purse.

"is this what you wanted from me? eh? I've always been kind and nice to people. I keep pouring my heart out just to keep getting hurt. is this what my life is going to be like forever?"

"he was one person. you'll find someone better." seokjin's voice steady, hand soft on the wheel.

"funny, that's what he used to say."

seokjin turned to glance at you, but didn't hold his gaze long as he rather not die from curiosity. "please explain."

"namjoon wasn't the first guy to do this. before him it was chanyeol..we weren't as serious though. he broke up with me after eight..or nine months because I wasn't living up to his standards."

"standards?"

"he's from gangnam and had high expectations for me. I had to maintain this look where I always wore heels and dresses that I couldn't breath in. I had to go to so many social events and he put me on the worst diets. once he got so annoyed when I told him that I didn't want to diet anymore"

seokjin turned a corner, eyes on the road but attention on you.

"he let me have my way and instead arranged for me to get surgery done. one thing he wanted fixed was my nose because he hated it. he'd always ask; can't you do something about that rita?"

a siren goes off faintly in the distance and at a stop light you watch a little dog sticking his head out of his owner's window.

"he got an appointment for me to get a skin bleaching once and that's where we got into a fight and it ended."

you stopped rummaging through your purse, chuckling at the pile of junk in your lap."he gave me makeup as a gift when we broke up.."

you could feel seokjin's eyes on you, you drew attention to your skin and he was looking."I'm sorry.."

"no it's fine I mean at least he gave me a gift after the break up." even if that gift was a hint for you to at least fake pale skin.

"after that I met namjoon through the boyfriend program, the classy gentleman. I thought that's what I needed, someone who'd treat me like a queen. after all I couldn't handle the hard truths that chanyeol told me."

seokjin pulled up at gyuni's and parked, turning to face you. you hadn't realized how long you had been talking. it only felt like minutes.

"I'm sorry, I didn't use to be such a downer."

"no...it's okay, really."

still you offered a smile and opened the door."well...maybe my expectations are too high, maybe there's no such thing as the perfect boyfriend. someone will always top me. nothing I can do about it, right?"

closing the door, you turned and walked inside.

but seokjin watched, sympathy in his eyes.
reaching for the door handle, he stopped and leaned back in his seat, closing his eyes."why didn't they treat you better?"