Chapter 5-The Red Bird Is Almost Caught

I sat on a table, watching as Scott ran around, throwing random ingredients into at least ten different test tubes. Some started smoking, some were spitting glitter out of it, and this other one caught on fire. My eyes widened and I reached for the fire extinguisher, but Scott took it away from me and kept throwing things in, either completely oblivious to the fact that his concoction was on fire or aware of it and that was supposed to happen. 

I'm banking on it being the first one. However, if this thing blows up, I refuse to be held responsible. This was all his doing!

"Are you done staring at me?" he asks out of the blue.

"What? Oh... Sorry..." I say, feeling my face get red. I wonder how long he's been aware of my staring...

"It's okay. I know I'm quite easy on the eyes," he says, looking up at me and winking.

Oh. My. Did he just?!

I scoff and roll my eyes.

"You have to admit it though..." he continues, not even looking at me. "I'm not that bad to look at..."

"I guess..." I shrug, just wanting to end this super awkward and seemingly forced conversation.

"Ha! You admitted it!" he says, now jumping up and pointing at me.

"Well, ugh!" I say, crossing my arms and pouting a little. Why is this happening to me? I'm a decent person!

Scott just laughs at me as he does whatever science-y stuff he's doing.

I'm about to try to come up with something witty to throw back at him when something at the opposite side of the room catches my eye.

I instantly turn my head to where I saw the shadow and stay quiet.

Scott looks up at me and then follows my gaze to the corner of the room.

I squint, trying to figure out what I saw.

He looks at me skeptically and then goes back to his work.

"What are you looking at?" he asks.

"I don't know... I thought I saw something..."

"What do you think you saw?"

"It looked like some sort of shadow, but it's not there anymore..."

"Hmm..."

I look at the flaming test tube once again, but as soon I turn back, the shadow returns. And now it's coming right at me.

"Rawr!" it says, grabbing my arm.

I scream and kick out, accidentally kicking Scott, who grabs at the counter to steady himself. However, he misses the counter and grabs my foot, which leads to him pulling me onto the floor and headbutting him.

"Ouch..." we both say. I try to get up, but he fell on my leg, so I'm pinned to the floor.

"Who in the name of-"

"Oops! That backfired a little..." Heather says, standing over me and laughing. 

"Heather!" I growl.

"Could you please get off?" Scott says as he tries to move from under me.

"I would, but you're on my leg..." I say. 

"So we can't move until the other person moves... But that's impossible, so..."

"Heatheeeeeerrrrr..." I moan, reaching out my hand and grabbing her foot.

"Here," she says, grabbing my hand and pulling me off.

I get up, even though my leg is still pinned.