Fester

After her talk with Klovic and Taleryn, Aris decided some privacy would be appreciated. It took a little convincing to make sure Yori didn't tag along, but eventually the small creature lay next to Klovic with an exasperated sigh. In the back of her mind, Aris found herself concerned for Sage, but she ignored the nagging worry. Instead, she focused on striding through the underbrush.

As Aris continued walking, she began to realize that it wasn't just her talk with Klovic and Taleryn that she needed to think about. After all the events of yesterday, she needed to defog her mind. It felt clearer after the good night's rest, but she was still upset about certain things. Well... mainly just one thing.

The book.

Why was it blank?

The girl could think of numerous reasons. One could be was that she wasn't important enough to be written about. Another was that the scribes of the Empire just had too little time on their hands that they never got around to her story. And then... there was that nagging fear that no one wanted to write her past because it was too horrible to. She knew it was a slightly ridiculous notion, but she couldn't shake the thought from her mind. What if it was true?

Aris sighed and dropped herself on an old log. It creaked under her weight, but still held.

"Still angry?" a voice asked.

The girl quickly glanced up to see Faril standing a little ways away. He came forward.

"Mind if I join you?" he asked.

Looking away, she shrugged. The shadow elf sat on a stump across from her.

"What you did yesterday," he started. "You kept your head even in the midst of your anger. I was impressed."

She snorted and said half-jokingly, "Was there ever any doubt?"

There was a short pause. Faril leaned forward and placed a reassuring hand on her knee. "I don't know why it's blank. But we can figure it out. And when I say "we," I mean it. You don't have to do this alone."

The girl glanced up at him with sad eyes, but gave a nod and managed, "Thanks, Faril. Shouldn't you be resting?"

"I wanted to speak with you first. I don't want you to be worrying over the book all day long. Though I doubt my words will change your mood by that much, I still wanted to reassure you."

The thought that he cared made her smile a little. "Thanks... again."

He nodded, standing. "I'll see you tonight then?"

She shrugged. "Sure. Sleep... uh... rest well."

He smiled a little. "And you have a good day."

When he had gone back into the vegetation again, Aris dropped her head into her hands with a sigh. She felt like there was so much pressure pushing against her; like the weight of the world was upon her shoulders. So many things were at stake. And to think, just a month earlier all she wanted was to know her past; what mysteries did it hold? And now... well... she still wanted to know what her past was like. But she actually had responsibilities now – like, just to name one, saving a whole empire, which might also include a whole world.

The thought made her shrink subconsciously.

Forcing herself to sit straight, Aris took in a deep breath. Maybe she should just take Klovic and Taleryn's advice and actually try to talk with the dragon. It wasn't as if she had anything to lose.

So, Aris closed her eyes and tried to relax. She slumped her shoulders, but still sat in a straight posture. The girl tried reaching deep into her mind, attempting to find the dragon's presence. Midway through, she thought, this is dumb. How can you "reach into your mind?" Your mind is the same no matter how "deep" you dig.

Yet, the keeper continued delving into her brain. After a minute or so, she soon began to despair. She couldn't feel the presence of the dragon. What made her think she could hear him? She didn't even know if he was a him!

With a groan, Aris opened her eyes and once again let her head collapse into her hands. What would it take to talk to the dragon? What if she would never be able to? Maybe if she spoke aloud...

"Uh..." she began awkwardly. "I know you can... hear me. Well, I at least I think you can hear me. It would be... awkward if you couldn't." She cleared her throat, looking up again. "Look, uh... if you can hear me, can you... show me somehow? Can you speak to me in my mind? Or I could go into karate mode again? Something like that?"

There wasn't an answer. Not through a voice in her mind, nor from a mysterious being taking control of her body. It was as if she was actually alone; as if she wasn't converged with the dragon.

"No?" she questioned. "Nothing? Great. Just great... You know... I don't even know why I thought you would come through. Why would you even care?"

She tried to calm herself. Part of her wondered why she was suddenly becoming so angry, but the other part said ignore it. Finally, though, Aris angrily stood with a groan. Of course the dragon wouldn't answer! Why would he? After all, they were only converged! It wasn't as if things couldn't get worse! First Astil showed up, then the book was blank, and now this! Why couldn't anything go her way? Just once!

The girl let out a frustrated cry. She kicked a nearby stick and felt her anger build inside. When would the currents change and finally flow in her direction? She couldn't see it doing it anytime soon.

She let her anger fester.