An Elf and a Pixie

The sun was still in the sky. It was too early to have a burial, but the moment Prince Sajen and his men arrived in the Empire of Shadows he insisted upon having one. The elf didn't even take time to freshen up. He went straight to the back of the palace, over the chasm where all those royal or friends of royalty were buried. Now, in the dying sunlight, the prince stood in the midst of a circle of other shadow elves. Out of respect, he kept his eyes on the newly turned dirt ahead, but he knew that his parents and sister, Ellwood, were by his side. The family of Estrid stood next to them, and then their friends came next. As was custom, the elves had taken the Vow of Silence at the beginning of the ceremony. They went forth one-by-one to kneel on the ground, think a few words to Astil, or put a gift next to her. There was no order in which they did it. Whoever felt led to go forth went. It was sometimes a bothersome tradition considering two elves could go forward at the same time, but the shadow creatures kept it all the same.

Sajen watched Ellwood step forward. As she lowered to her knees in front of the burial site, the prince recalled what a childhood they all had had. Though he had never gotten along with Ravlynn, it had always been the four of them: Sajen, Ravlynn, Astil, and Ellwood. The prince could scarcely the number of adventures – or misadventures, for that matter – they all went on. And then Aldenuur had to be thrown off its orbit and bring chaos to everything. All Sajen had done to ensure his people's' survival, and all the others of Aldenuur... And Ravlynn had to just ruin it.

Don't, he mentally chided himself. This is for Astil. Don't think of that bastard.

When Ellwood took her place next to him, dress swishing, he felt her small hand slip into his. Sajen allowed himself a brief glance in her direction. The girl, now just a few inches shorter than him, gazed back with dark grey eyes. The prince was sure his eyes reflected the same color.

As the ceremony continued, Ellwood grasped his arm with her free hand and leaned her head against his shoulder. More and more elves poured forth. Sajen took comfort in his sister's lush hair cascading over his side, the coldness of her touch. But it wasn't the same as Astil's.

When he was sure everyone else had gone forward, the prince gently let go of Ellwood's hand and stepped forward. He went directly to Astil's burial site and stared down for a second at the silver, rectangular object protruding from the ground in front of it. It had Astil's name etched into it with her parents' above. Usually, a silver-mark would also have a spouse and children around the name, and Sajen felt his heart twist at the thought that Astil was never able to have either of those.

The prince slowly went down to the ground and bowed his head, closing his eyes. He let himself openly feel the grief of Astil's death and more than just a few tears ran down his cheeks.

I loved you, he told her in his mind in order not to break the Vow. You were the only one. I wanted to tell you why I'm doing this so many times before. Why couldn't you just trust in me? Why were you so swept away with Ravlynn? Was I not good enough for you?

Sajen stayed there for a long time. Long enough for the sun to start setting. And finally, he stood and opened his eyes. The elves all stared at him. None of them knew the circumstances of Astil's death. Sajen had never explained. But now, he let his voice rise clear and steady over the small throng.

"The Vow of Silence is now over. Three days ago Astil Estrid died. The rebels, led by my traitorous brother, Ravlynn, had swayed her with their lies to join them. We all know what love she had for Ravlynn. He used that to his advantage. Believe me when I tell you that Lady Astil was not thinking clearly when she joined them."

Several elves nodded to Sajen's words. Others just continued listening.

"I led a large group of our finest warriors against those rebels. I tried to reason with them. I did everything I could to convince them of their terrible ways. But I was forced to fight. Ravlynn would not have this, though. It is because of that coward that we are here today, mourning the loss of our beloved Astil. It's his fault."