A Brief Break From Trouble

Harry awoke to the rather unpleasant sensation of lying face down on the cold stone floors of a deserted dungeon corridor. His glasses were pressed firmly against his face and would definitely be bent if not broken from the fall alone. His knees that had collided with the floor after buckling throbbed painfully along with his head and his entire face that had smacked into the floor when he lost consciousness.

Harry didn't remember much of what had happened and the memories he did have of the experience were fleeting. He found this aggravating but at the same time, he was thankful that he didn't remember the pain he had experienced in crisp detail.

"Selfish little companion! Fainting in the middle of corridors where anyone could get to you or me!" Lumen slowly slithered close to his face. The young basilisk looked far from pleased and Harry had the creeping suspicion that the deadly snake was glaring at him.

"I didn't mean to faint...I don't even know what happened." Harry hissed back. His entire body ached as he sat up, the throbbing in his head increased to the point that it left him dizzy and breathless. He could even hear his own heartbeat pounding loudly in his ear. Lumen made a sound that Harry assumed was a scoff.

"Let's go...before whatever that was, happens again." Harry sighed before grabbing Lumen and standing up, which was easier said than done.

Lumen muttered scornfully all the way back to the Slytherin dorms, each word annoying Harry even further. He was already quite agitated and the stares and glares he received upon entering the common room only furthered his agitated state.

"Did you go...there?" Blaise asked he walked over to Harry calmly although Harry could hear the thinly veiled desperate curiosity in his voice.

"No, I've got other things to do first, besides I stopped by the library did some research and introduced my friends to Lumen...albeit accidentally," Harry answered stalking through the common room and heading straight to his dorm.

"What other things?" Blaise asked as he laid down stomach-first on his bed and quickly rested his chin on his hands.

"Like the conceited portrait of Salazar Slytherin seems to think that I actually care about what he says," Harry said with a snort before flopping down on his own bed.

"You're going to break that bed the way you throw yourself at it." Malfoy drawled as he opened the green curtains to his bed.

"You're just bitter because like always Potter gets everyone's attention, even Salazar Slytherin," Blaise said with a snort.

"I couldn't care less about such trivial things." Malfoy sneered.

"Oh, and what are you doing that's so important?" Blaise asked. Harry didn't really pay attention to their bickering after that point and pulled his curtains shut. It wasn't even noon and Harry was already ready to pass out. So that's what he did.

It was after curfew when Harry finally awoke from his nap or was awoken by a restless and rather hungry Lumen.