e i g h t .

M A Y A

"What the fuck?" Maya muttered under her breath at school

"What the fuck?" Maya muttered under her breath at school. There they were. Riley and Lucas. Middle school lovers. Side by side, smiling all lovey-dovey.

She gripped her backpack and fake smiled.

"Hey guys!" She side glared at Lucas for further explanation.

"Peaches!" Riley attacked Maya with a bear hug. "The craziest thing happened to me! I was babysitting Auggie..."

"Riley, honey. Can I speak to Lucas for a second?" She asked sweetly.

"Yeah! Go ahead. I have to go to first period, but I'll tell you the story at lunch!" She smiled and skipped off with a wink.

Maya furrowed her eyebrows in confusion.

What was that about?

She decided to dismissed it as she turned to Lucas.

"So what do you wanna talk about?" Lucas asked, shrugging his shoulders.

"What's the deal with you and Riley?"

"Oh, um, I walked her to school." Lucas scratched the back of his neck. "I-um, just-"

"You know what? Never mind." Maya turned around and felt the feeling commonly known as disappointment.
-----------------------------------

"ASSUMPTION." Mr. Matthews wrote on the board in chalk.

"Didn't we learn this before?" Farkle asked.

"Well, yes. I wanted to explain it further." He set down his briefcase. "Imagine this. You're in a relationship, and you see your partner with another girl or boy. Is it safe to assume that he or she is cheating without hearing their explanation?"

Riley's hand went in the air. "Well, I'd be upset. I'd confront him and we'd probably argue."

Lucas' hand went up. "Well, I'd just ask her about it calmly and let her explain. I wouldn't make assumptions that they're cheating." Lucas looked at Maya for a second.

"Mr. Friar, that is correct. It's not safe to make assumptions until you've confirmed with that person, or if you see them kissing or making very close physical contact. In that case, you can make assumptions." Mr. Matthews laughed.

"Class dismissed. " he crossed out the "assumption" writing on the board.
-----------------------------------------------
When lunch came around, the gang sat in the cafeteria at their usual table in the corner.

Lucas approached the table. He was walking towards at a quick pace and without her noticing, he carried Maya from the back and outside into the front entrance.

"Maya, Mr.. Matthews just taught a lesson on how it's not right to make assumptions without supporting facts. And-" Lucas started.

"Hold up, are you seriously blaming me? After that night we had, I thought we were... never mind. But you go around the next day and act all lovey dovey with Riley?" Maya fired back angrily.

"You didn't give me time to explain! I-"

to be continued...
-------------
I'll try to update the next part today too. Dw lucas wasn't cheating ( although they're not dating 😂)