Underneath

Chapter 23
~Dedicated to Lala~
(Picture to the side is her hair color)

And when I woke up, I was still in Dominick’s arms, he had fallen asleep alongside me, and he stayed the night.

I shake him awake. But he doesn’t wake up. I try again and he doesn’t even move. I can’t even move with his arms holding me tight to his chest.

I shamefully stayed quite a while just enjoying myself in his arms, forgetting about my worries. But now I have to pee because reality came with a wakeup call. It doesn’t seem to be working on Dom.

I shake him again, I pull his hair, he doesn’t even move. He just continues breathing deeply with me trapped in his practically steel arms. I sigh.

I start playing with his hair, pulling the strands one by one. I trap his nose between my thumb and index finger. I pinch his cheeks. Becoming desperate, I lick his cheek.

One of his eyes pop open almost immediately. It’s comical how he looks up at me with one eye open and one eyebrow raised. In a barely legible morning voice he harshly whispers, “Turn on the light!” as he closes his eye again.

“I can’t silly, it’s called sunlight. I need to go pee so unless you want a nice wet stain on your front I suggest you let me go.” Before I even finished speaking his arms open like I’m on fire. I laugh as I run to the washroom to relieve myself.

It’s strange how he makes me so happy even after what he’s done to me. I frown looking at myself in the mirror. It bothered me; he didn’t deserve to make me feel this way. He rejected me- like what dumbass cliché thing to do. He could have just acted maturely and explain his situation and I would work with it. He should’ve accepted me as I was, if I not being a wolf even meant something to him.

Suddenly I’m pissed at the world, earlier sunshine mood forgotten. But then I thought of Joey, he’d probably come here today and if not I’d make sure he does. I needed Bff time, not to mention he kind of sort of was mine and I may still have intense feelings for him. You know what they say; if you truly love someone you don’t fall out of it- you get over it.

I needed to call my friends too. I can’t even remember the last time I had a proper conversation with Ivan.

I exit the bathroom grumpy. Dominick is sprawled lazily all over my mattress.  He has a goofy smile on his face and his eyes are bright. Damn him for being in such a good mood.

“What’s Joey’s number.” His expression darkened immediately. “Why?” walking over to my door I open it. “Because I want to talk to him.”

I could hear him groan, “Are you mad at me?”

“no.” I make my way upstairs as he noisily follows. “I don’t need a bond to tell your pissed so what’s going on?” he doesn’t know when to shut up does he? “Are you ignoring me?”

“Go away.” I sat down at the kitchen counter and for a moment he looks confused, “aren’t you going to eat breakfast?”

“Duh.” A look of realization crosses his face. “you know you can eat with us now right?” I’d rather not, “I’d feel more comfortable here.” and with his eyes crusted with sleep, hair tousled in the endearing way he plopped down beside me and poured himself a bowl of cereals.

I’m shocked; I honestly didn’t expect him to sit beside me. “you do know you don’t have to sit here?” with the spoon halfway to his mouth he turns to me. it irritates me even more that he has an adorable expression on his face. “Why don’t I?”

“You do remember you rejected me right? So even now without the bond you are not my mate, or my friend. I don’t even have a wolf so you’re not even my Alpha.” He didn’t respond. Turned away from me and continued eating.

After a few silent moments he speaks, “a mate isn’t just a part of your soul. They are a part of your mind and body. So while you may hate me know, eventually You’ll fall in love with me. I’ll make sure of it.” And he gets up, puts his dishes in the sink and leaves.

Is he freaking bipolar? You do not say that and leave me hanging. Last I thought he wanted me to leave him alone. What the hell is he on? Is he still doing those drugs?  There no signs but he is an Alpha, he could probably manipulate his image somehow.

And Damn! I didn’t get Joey’s number.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

I walk out of the back door to find Bridgette in nothing but a boys- my brother’s, no doubt- shirt with two wholes ripped in the back for her wings to accommodate. She’s kneeling over a rose bush, along the outer rings of the flowers carefully planted by one of the talented wolves. Her hair cascades down past her grey shirt and white legs down to the rose bush that loses its color.

Literally. Like paint washing off the red flows down to reveal dark petals and shriveled dark grey leaves. She sighs and stands with her back to me. “Bridgette?”

She turns quickly, her wings flying out behind her. I gasp, clears cloud my vision. “shit, sorry.” She pulls them back. “forgot,” she shrugs.

“what are you doing?” she looks back and the rose bush and I look to see most of the flowers are in a similar state. “What did you do?”

“it’s winter time soon so it’s not like I’m doing major damage, I got permission from that Gabby or whatever her name was.” Gabby! That’s what her name was.

“okay but what exactly is it that you are doing?” she smiles sadly, “I’m peeling away the exterior. I want to see if anything is truly pure. Even the innocent flowers are tainted; I have no way to redeem myself.”

“Redeem yourself?” her face turns stoic. “I never want to go up there again but I do want to get rid of these wings. Then I can live a normal life with your brother. So yes, I need to redeem myself.”

“so you’re looking for something pure?” she smiles again, “kind of. Are you a virgin, have you ever been in love?” I’m taken aback. “uh. Yeah? I think so…” her smile grows wider.

“do you trust me?” I-I don’t know. Geez, you’re my guardian angel and all. Sacrificed life in heaven or something like that not like you explained but do I trust you? “yeah, I guess?” it came out as more of a question.

But that was the entire prompt she needed as she stared into my eyes and slowly everything around me faded to white.

For what seemed like eternity I was lost, but then color shapes and forms came back and I nearly collapsed from exhaustion.

Bridgette smiles gleefully at me before dancing around like a crazy person. “Ahh! Kariiiiiiiiisa, You did it!!! And, well shit.” She stops and looks at me guiltily.

She steps closer to me hesitantly, and then pulls a lock of hair from behind my head in front of my eyes.

And it was blonde- platinum, silvery whitish blonde. “what in the world …”