prologue

PROLOGUE

 I got into the apartment and locked the doors. I turned on the lights and squinted, letting my eyes adjust to the darkness. I dumped the files on the couch and went into my room to get changed into shorts and a shirt.my idea of a nightie.

    my phone rang just as I settled into the couch, I picked the call, 'Natalie!!!' I laughed, it was surely Noelle. 'Hey girl!, what's been up with you?'I asked her. 'well, I've been okay. Just worried about you sometimes. I'm getting married! and of course you're invited and you're going to be my maid of honor. I was going to mail you the-', 'whoa! slow down, you're getting married?, to who?, you never even told me you were dating anyone'.

   For a while there was silence at the other end. I held my breath. Lord, don't let it be what I'm thinking be what I'm thinking. 'I'm getting married to Jake. we've been dating for seven month now. I didn't want to tell you earlier because I honestly didn't know how you'd feel about it'.

     Ouch ,that actually hurt. like really. Noelle was my closest friend and Jake, my boyfriend, till like seven months ago. he broke up with me and said he  was involved with someone else. someone else who was apparently my closest friend.

     I still hadn't been able to get over him. but it was worse in the past. I had felt so heavy hearted, so sore inside and so sad. I actually can't use words to describe the feeling but it hurt... like hell. and this news only made it worse.

   Tears were already making their way down my cheeks. 'are you still there?' I took a deep breath and tried to steady myself, but my breaths were shaky and she probably figured out I was crying. 'goodness Nat I'm so sorry. I had no idea you'd be this hurt. if you're not happy about it I'll call of the wedding. are you okay with that?.

  I honestly didn't want to hate Noelle. our friendship had gone a  long way. but the only name for what she did to me is betrayal and of course she knew I couldn't ask her to call of the wedding. 'well, I'm shocked that's all. I'll try to make it to your wedding, I'm really busy right now and if or not you go on with the wedding is totally your decision to make'.

 I sounded really cold but I couldn't help it. I hung up.

  I tried to swallow back the tears. Because I hated being or seeming weak. But my throat hurt like most of the pain was gathered there. No one was here and I couldn't help it. I sat on the floor and rested my head on the couch. tears rolled down and I started sobbing. sobbing away the anger, pain and feelings of betrayal. 

  At that moment all I wanted to do was get rid of those feelings. I didn't know how to, I didn't know anything. I didn't even know who my true friends were. But what I did know was that crying made things a lot better. so I did just that. I cried.